Help identify maker of porcelain bisque nativity set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dapunnisher, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Dapunnisher

Dapunnisher Active Member

Hello Experts,

I have acquired a handful of nativity figures that are hand painted and made of porcelain bisque. Assuming bisque because they are solid, but light weight. There are chips here and there but a good touch-up job would be beneficial. The man holding the sheep is 10" tall and weighs about 28oz.

Looking for age and possible maker. There are no identifiable markings.

Thank you for your help!

20190201_225858-50.jpg 20190201_225912.jpg 20190201_225926.jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

show the bases anyways........

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but these are not porcelain bisque.
    Chalkware.

Chalkware nativity sets were made in Japan, Italy and Germany.
    A picture of the bottom to see how they are finished may help us determine country of origin.

Sandra, Bakersgma, Fid and 6 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, chalkware.
    The one on the right came from a different set. Smaller, and different base.
    The animals are probably from yet another set.

5. Dapunnisher

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Might be vintage but to be found in Christmas markets all over Spain, for instance. Not as elaborate as some.

Debora

8. Dapunnisher

I came across the full set at an antiques mall. I forgot to ask who the maker is? I looked at the bottom of one of the figures and there was no markings.
    20190202_143116.jpg 20190202_143109.jpg

i need help likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are mass produced. In most cases, maker is unknown, unimportant. IMO, $300 is a very aggressive pricing.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Extremely aggressive. Here you can buy them for 30 euro.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Taji Session

Taji Session New Member

I also found a Bisque Nativity set, I am missing Jesus though, makes me sad. I would love to add him to my set if I could find another on to purchase. This is something I would love to pass down. I don't know who or when they were attained, very beautiful, well kept, but maybe a few minor bruises or chipping. They are bright, jeweled and colored. The bottom says Holland. I found these in my grandmother's home buried in the bottom of her closet, so I am unsure how old they are. I am 52, my grandmothers home was built in 32. So between 32 and 68, (my birth), til 2020 when I found them. I will send pics if someone could tell me a bit about them. I love history. Thank you!

12. Taji Session

Taji Session New Member

I can't get the pics to upload. Bummer

13. Any Jewelry

Welcome Taji. Did you want to start a new thread?
    Here is info on how to post a thread and upload pictures, please remember to click on 'full image' when you post:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Posting images from your phone:

iPhone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

Android phone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

Draft saved Draft deleted