help identify partially glazed Asian figurine?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Herons, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Herons

Herons New Member

Hi:

Picked up this interesting Asian figurine recently - I think Japanese, but perhaps Chinese?

It is interesting in that the head/face and hand is unglazed while the rest of the figure is glazed. I am wondering if anyone may know its origins, age or story behind it and why parts are glazed and others not.

I imagine there is some mythology involved as the raised right arm has no hand. i.e. it is not broken off. The arm is draped in "cloth" and very obviously it depicts a character with only one hand. Does anyone know "who" this is and the story behind the figurine and what it may have been used for?

The figurine is unmarked. When examined with a loop, crazing can be seen in the glaze and then of course there is this white webbed pattern in the glaze. I thought at first this was an intentional pattern to try and make the piece look old, but on closer exam I realized the white "webbing" is powdery and has kind of "leaked" from the back of the glaze to form this pattern. I was able to easily scrap it off in one small test spot with my finger nail, so I think this is possibly a genuine result of aging. When scrapped the area looked exactly like the other area where the piece has regular crazing, but no "leakage" of the white powdery substance from behind.

Any info on age, value, origin etc. is much appreciated.

Andy

stat2_1000px.jpg stat3_1000px.jpg stat1_1000px.jpg stat4_1000px.jpg stat5_1000px.jpg stat6_1000px.jpg stat7_1000px.jpg stat8_1000px.jpg stat9_1000px.jpg stat10_1000px.jpg

RachelW and TraceyB like this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This looks like a nice Chinese Sancai glazed figure. If genuine it should be worth several hundred pounds but I cannot tell if it is right from the photos.
    If you search for Sancai figures you will get a better idea.

good luck

John

judy likes this.
  3. Herons

Herons New Member

Thanks, John. This looks like a good place to start. Thanks for your help!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted