Help identify place and history of photo

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by William Ernst, Jan 23, 2020.

?

Does anyone know history and location?

1. Is it an Olympic event

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pre WWII?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. William Ernst

William Ernst New Member

I have this picture and know nothing of it’s history. Please help

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

William, it's always helpful to have close-cropped photographs taken from straight on. That helps us help you.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Mid-20th century photograph. Could be one of the NYC pools. You can do some internet research with the list here.

Joseph H. Lyons Pool, Staten Island: Opened July 7, 1936, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia summed up one of the main goals of the WPA pools, calling the facility "a monument to the progressive government which would not and could not see unemployed men on the breadline. "

McCarren Pool, Brooklyn: Opened July 31, 1936, Greenpoint's McCarren Pool was designed to accommodate 6,800 bathers at a time and its bathhouse was the largest in the system, large enough to serve the thousands that used the pool daily.

Red Hook Pool, Brooklyn: Opened August 17, 1936, 40,000 people attended the opening, leading The New York Times to describe it as "Red Hook's event of the year."

Jackie Robinson Pool, Manhattan: Opened August 8, 1936 and originally known as "Colonial Park Pool," the facility was dedicated at an event featuring Bill "Bojangles" Robinson singing "Battle Hymm of the Republic" to a crowd of 25,000.

Sunset Pool, Brooklyn: Opened July 20, 1936, as Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia dramatically flipped a switch, activating the pool's underwater lighting system.

Debora

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-1-23_13-50-41.jpeg

a couple of diving folks...
    they do have a professional air to them.....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. William Ernst

William Ernst New Member

Thank you Debora! I will

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your locations are limited. There aren't that many (historical) outdoor pools that size and the buildings surrounding this one are quite distinctive. Urban rather than suburban, I'd think. If you're not already researching using Google Images, I suggest you do so. Will shorten the search.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted