Featured HELP Identify Please - Nice Bamboo Rattan Chaise Lounge Wrought Iron Steel Spotted Bench Couch

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SweetAfton, Feb 29, 2016.

1. SweetAfton

SweetAfton New Member

2nd Try At Posting With Photos!!! Please excuse, I am a "newby"!

I have searched for a similar chaise all over the internet and cannot find anything so any help would be much appreciated!
    I purchased this Chaise Lounge at an antique store. The owner insisted it was Spotted Bamboo that was split for weaving. The main frame I think is wrought iron and very heavy but it could be steel. It is wrapped in what the previous owner said was split spotted bamboo. The seat is undergirded with steel I believe (see photos)
    Almost mint condition except for a few small pieces of the weaving broken.
    I am not sure if it is genuine bamboo or fake or not bamboo at all but rattan. I notice there are spots all over the bamboo except for the underside (but not sure if the bamboo was split for weaving if that would be normal for the underside to not be spotted if it is genuine).
    It is approx. 5 ft long, 3 ft tall and 2 ft across including arm rest.
    Some of the frame seems to be solid spotted bamboo or a replica of bamboo. DSC_0217 (2).JPG DSC_0222 (1).JPG

DSC_0218 (1).JPG DSC_0227 (1).JPG DSC_0225 (1).JPG

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

The furniture brainiacs will be along soon, I'm sure.
    Meanwhile, I like that thing!

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Well, phooey, I made a double post. :confused: :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Welcome, SweetAfton. I'm sure others will be along shortly to help you with the chaise. For what it's worth, your photos look really good to me.;)

I really like your name -- "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton" has been one of my favorite songs to listen to (and sing) for soooo many years. :happy:

I'm heading to the "music" thread to (try to) post that song on the music thread.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fabulous piece ,love the lines . I don't feel like its terribly old ,maybe 20 years or so , but it was expensive when made . All my opinion , of course .

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting piece that I have not seen another of. I can't tell if it is real bamboo or rattan that is faux-painted to resemble bamboo. Can you feel the "nodes" (the darker rings that segment the bamboo)? It could also be a combination of the two. Those plain little angle pieces on the bottom are definitely rattan. The spotting everywhere is definitely applied. The wrapping and the seat are cane. I think it could be as early as the 50s but looks awfully well kept to be that old. It probably is newer as Johnny suggests.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. SweetAfton

SweetAfton New Member

I believe she said it was made in the 80's. I'd love to have a guess at value as was hoping to sell it (if that is allowed on here). I can definitely feel the nodes - they are not fake and each is unique. I know it is some sort of genuine reed or bamboo. I'd agree on the spotting being applied somehow but am not sure as it isn't raised at all above the grain. To the touch, you can't tell it was applied...if that makes sense.
    It seems hand made to me - or at least hand wrapped and stained...I just don't know much about bamboo type furniture at all

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

If you can feel the nodes, it is bamboo. As used furniture, the value is what you can get out of it. As Johnny suggests, this was probably a relatively expensive piece when new. This doesn't mean a whole lot on the secondary market. Location and selling venue also have a lot to do with value. Selling at auction or to a dealer would probably net 1/3 to 1/2 what you might get at retail (or even less). Big city locations and Either coast will do better than Middle America Timbuktoo. I could also see this being attractive to buyers in Florida and Southern coastal areas.

All this said, here in my Midwest semi-Timbuktoo location, I would probably need to be under $200.00 at retail to sell this in a timely manner. Under $150.00 would be even better. My customers are cheaper than cheap so expectations may be better where you are.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. SweetAfton

SweetAfton New Member

Well, if I'd just get $200 for it, then I'll keep it :) It's good to know it's real bamboo. Do you think the weaving is genuine or is that rattan?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a chaise longue, rather than lounge. As in, a long chair. ;)

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

It's a chaise longue, rather than lounge.

Owned, that one has always been one of my bugaboos... Even worse, CHASE LOUNGE - I've even heard furniture salespeople say it!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  13. SweetAfton

SweetAfton New Member

ok thanks - never heard of the word "longue"

14. Ownedbybear

It's French, which I speak.

SBS, my pet hate is "chest of draws".

SBSVC likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Or Chester Draws:(

komokwa and SBSVC like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

17. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

"Furniture suit," submitted by The South... :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.13.47 AM.png

Lucille.b likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELCOME SweetAfton!!!! AND nice job on your pictures!!!! Glad you were able to get them up!! I LOVE your very unique spotted 'chaise longue'....

And, Brad.....love your new Avatar!!!! Sexxxxxy:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Agreed about that avatar, Aquitaine... nothing says SPRING like that jacketless good-looking man whose tie is whipping in the wind...
    Is it just me or is it warm in here?

Bakersgma likes this.
  20. verybrad

Thanks! ... Was time for a change. Thought this Leyendecker man was just the right avatar for Spring.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted