Help identify please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sesk, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Sesk

Sesk New Member

I believe it's Brass. The cover just sits on top and has a threaded handle like a vent. Hope the pictures are clear. Thanks.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a steamer of some sort...& I'm seeing copper...a good heat conductor ..

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Sesk

Sesk New Member

Possibly, but a friend and I both think it's Brass. It's too heavy to be copper. It doesn't appear to have any heat applied to it.
    The smaller vessel has threads cut into the bottom of it like it screws onto something. Also, the smaller vessel has a wood topped handle that threads into bottom.
    We're puzzled for sure.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Perhaps a humidor for cigars?

Is the bottom of the large vessel flat or recessed? Is there a way to access the space beneath the perforated plate in the bottom of the large vessel? (Or is the perforated plate the actual bottom?) Do the "threads" on the small vessel actually form a spiral, or are they just rings? If they are screw threads, then some part of the assembly might be missing. Do you think the small vessel was intended to be placed inside the large vessel? What does the bottom of the lid look like?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
  5. Sesk

Sesk New Member

The bottom of large one is recessed. The perforated plate pops out and sits only about an inch off the bottom.
    They are screw threads, I don't doubt there could be parts missing. I'm not sure if the small vessel was meant to be inside during use as it doesn't fit tight inside and may just be stored in there. The small vessel handle is brass, not wood, and threads out too.

Attached Files:

2manybooks likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, is that piece with the holes in it removable??? Could it be meant for crushing some kind of fruit or something and the juice would wind up on top???? Just thinking "outside the box"....sort of....hmmm....think you kind of explained above......

EDIT!! Sorry, not a clue!:(:eek:

2manybooks likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am going with the humidor. Cigars go in center piece and knob is used to lift them out with water in the bottom. Brass and copper are both common in humidors. probably because they don't rust and they kill germs.