HELP IDENTIFY sponge decorated water cooler

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bigfoot, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

HELLO ALL...I purchased this what looks like a one gallon little cooler...there no lid and no spicket...im still hoping to find the lid at the thrift store where I got it...sometimes things get separated and come out a few days or weeks apart...but just in case would anyone know what the original lid looked like so I can hunt it down...also I'm not sure about something else..the front says OHIO MO..im not sure what the MO is and who made it..thanks in advance for your help..Andy

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

IF it came from Ohio, MO, then it can't be any older than late 1963 when two letter abbreviations went into effect.

judy, blooey, i need help and 3 others like this.
  4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thank you so much for your help...that makes sense ohio Missouri...ive handled 100's of pieces of stoneware over the years and it just has the patina and age feel of an older piece..the one thing I know for sure is after 40 years of collecting im still learning...it just looks older to me...thanks again Andy

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It may have looked like this.
    Unfortunately the ebay link is no longer available.

upload_2020-1-17_18-4-24.png

judy, Aquitaine, wiscbirddog and 5 others like this.
  6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

WOW WOW!!!...im looking for a lid..thats one hell of a top...YOU NAILED IT...thats it unreal...that looks turn of the 19th century or am I wrong...Andy

i need help likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

You are wrong.

As wiscbirddog said in post 3 - the zip code system along with the two letter state abbreviation was placed in use during 1963.
    Your water cooler cannot be earlier than that.

judy, wiscbirddog and i need help like this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

9. clutteredcloset49

Notice the one in Terry's link has a 2 indicating 2 gallons.
    upload_2020-1-17_19-44-1.png

Yours appears small, as you can hold it in your hand.
    Also notice the quality of the sponge application

upload_2020-1-17_19-43-12.png

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Notice also the plastic piece blocking the opening for the spigot.

11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh! So that hole isn't blocked at all. Sorry about that. Sure looked like a piece of pale green plastic. :oops:

Draft saved Draft deleted