Help identify this stone boxes cultural origin. Egyptian?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Oct 6, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is necessarily an antique but I’ve been wondering what culture the design represents since I picked it up months ago? I knew someone here would know. Egyptian? For some reason it reminds me of Maori but I don’t think that’s it. Hopefully someone can let me know if I’m close or if not where it may be from. Picked it up at an estate sale for a couple bucks because I can’t turn down a cool looking box. I don’t know why but I’m totally into boxes of all types and always have been.

I assume it’s soapstone but haven’t looked at the box itself since I got it and took photos basically.

EE38A615-6A32-47F1-B82B-3252B1C8C676.jpeg 8B75EE65-A9E5-4D36-B24D-777FC9069E16.jpeg 2517BA9C-FA61-4121-A9B3-D1F165273DF7.jpeg

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice box
    nice craftsmanship
    those designs....are completely unknown to me....:confused:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

i need help, J Dagger and 2manybooks like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The boat looks Egyptian, but the head dresses look Polynesian. And that round motif is remeniscent of an Mayan calender.

5. Any Jewelry

Not really Mayan, which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

You probably mean the Aztec 'calendar stone' found at the old site of Tenochtitlán, in present day Mexico City. It is often used when people talk about the Maya calendar.

This is the Tenochtitlán stone, which is probably not even a calendar;)
    [​IMG]

6. J Dagger

I’m glad that it wasn’t just a mystery to me. That makes me feel better. Figured it would be obvious to someone immediately and that I was just missing it.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, WHO reads hieroglyphics???????? Just for the fun of it, of course!!!! NICE box!!!

J Dagger and i need help like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This box has similar figures and is claimed to be from Vietnam. Sorry can't get link Try googling soapstone box with boat[​IMG]

kentworld, Jivvy, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  10. i need help

11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Bronwen, komokwa, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  12. i need help

I can’t find anything about the origin of this scene. Maybe @J Dagger will do some more research, or maybe just a collaboration of symbols.

13. Any Jewelry

14. J Dagger

Wow nice find! Of course I just spent the last two hours or so researching Phoenician and Indus Valley images for similar details. I guess I should have checked back periodically and I would have saved myself a lot of time!!!! Thanks again! I would have never guessed Vietnam.

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. J Dagger

Hmm yeh maybe they are just making them in Vietnam and there a sticker or something on the boxes so people are assuming the design is attributable to Vietnamese culture? Or maybe it is, I’ll look around.

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

Jivvy, KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

There is none, but it is a start, great research as always, inh.:) And @KikoBlueEyes of course.:)

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Found the bird, it is called Chim Lac, a mythical bird. The image and the other symbols were found on a bronze Dong Son culture drum. Dong Son is a Southeast Asian Bronze Age culture named after a Vietnamese village where the first items were found.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/57182523/Vietnam-Symbols

The Dong Son culture was highly organized. For instance there was a specialized foundry on the Indonesian island of Madura just for the manufacture of ceremonial drums.

19. i need help

Looks like the boat is there too, or similar.

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Real similarities with both Pacific NW and some South American imagery.

Draft saved Draft deleted