Help Identify Unique Lion Head Rocker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shade, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Shade

Shade New Member

Please help me identify this old rocker. It belonged to my Grand Aunt and it was reupholstered in the 1970s.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Welcome, Shade!

I hope you don't mind, but I "flipped" and enlarged your photo so that others may see it better!
    orange rocker.jpeg

edited to add: looks like WiscBirddog had the same idea!

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That ROCKS !!!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, would say Scandinavian based on some of the motifs. Could be totally off-base. Doubt this is American.

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Shade.
    A nice, quirky piece. I guess Northern Europe, which includes Scandinavia. Where was your Grand Aunt from?
    It could be a one off, or part of a small production furniture set.
    Any marks or labels anywhere?

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

That seat.....WOW!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Shade

Shade New Member

10. Shade

Shade New Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late 19th into early 20th, I'd think. It has a lightness to it, which suggests that timing and also makes me think it's Swedish or similar. As do the carvings, which are nicely done. Might be birch.

12. Shade

Shade New Member

Thanks everyone. You all are really great.
    To answer some questions, the chair was discovered by my grand uncle back in the 1950’s at an old money area of Akron Ohio. There was an old mansion being emptied out and they were throwing it away because the home was being sold and was to be renovated. My Grand Uncle liked it and asked them for it. Years later my Grand Uncle gave it to my father in the 1970’s. My dad had it reupholstered around 1979. My father probably stripped som of the old finish off but I know he never sanded it. I seem to remember it being slightly darker, but just slightly. My dad made sure the crafts person doing the upholstery took care to reuse the decorative metal trim pieces that are attached over the red fabric upholstery on all four sides of the seat base. Thanks for the time period estimate because I was curious.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted