Help Identify Wall Mounted Coat Rack

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Uncled1961, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Uncled1961

Uncled1961 New Member

Grandads Coat Rack.jpg

This wood wire rack was given to me by my father and he said it was from my grandfather. They resided in Willow Hill Franklin County, Pennsylvania and this rack hung inside their foyer to their home. It is made of oak wood with heavy wire inserts. The center had a mirror attached to it but it was broken and I have since replaced it. I sent this picture to Stickley Furniture and they researched it and it is not one of their pieces. My grandfather passed away in 1960 and I was told that this piece was made in the 1910 to 1950 time frame. Any information on this piece would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    yourturntoloveit and aaroncab like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome uncled. Doesn't look sturdy enough for coats. Hats & scarves?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum uncled.

Those brackets at the bottom look like coat hangers, so a not-so-sturdy coat rack?;)

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  4. Uncled1961

Uncled1961 New Member

This piece believe it or not is very sturdy. The wire is thicker that a usual coat hanger and the piece is solid. Is is a coat rack? I'm not sure but that is what I have been told.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wood wouldn't be good in a bathroom, & doesn't really seem suited to kitchen use. Rustic style more like something you would use by the door, maybe back/side door, or cottage. Trying to think why it needs that bar up top. Only idea is that it is for drying out a wet scarf. Suppose you could hang dry umbrellas on it, but doubt that's intended use.

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had very similar one, kept it on the back of the door leading to the cellar. Kept the kitchen towels and pot holders on it. Out of sight out of mind.:rolleyes: It gave the wash cloths time to dry before laundering them.
    greg

Bronwen likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen similar numerous times and believe they were probably inexpensive mail order or give-a-ways. Have never seen any attributed and it is possible that they were imports.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted