Help Identifying a Liberty & Co Pewter Tankard (mug)???

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by MrNate, Aug 28, 2017.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Today I went "thrifting" and I came across this Pewter Tankard which reads "ENGLISH PEWTER" "LIBERTY & CO" "HAND MADE IN ENGLAND" "1368" on the bottom. I spent a good deal of time searching online to find something identical or comparable, and I can't seem to come up with much. Is there anyone out there with knowledge of similar pieces by LIBERTY & CO? It would be really great if I could see another work that also says "HAND MADE IN ENGLAND" because I really haven't been able to find any. If you have ANY clue about the time period of this piece (even if you think it's modern, I'd rather know than be stuck scratching my head) I would be greatful! Thanks and here are some photos. IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0708.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

General timeframe - 20th century because of the "Made in England" part, for starters.

My sense, just looking at it, with the style of engraving and a female name (says Norma, right?) is that it's probably post WW2. But that's just my opinion.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you searched on google.co.uk? Lots of LIBERTY & CO. tankards to be found there.

Debora

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And best to include "Mug" as this shape is normally called that. The big problem finding others is that the vast majority of hits include their more famous lines - Tudric and Archibald Knox. So you might want to use the minus sign to exclude those words from your search.

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Bakersgma and thank you Debora, those are both wonderful suggestions.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed on post war. If this were an ordinary mug, value would be low, but the Liberty name adds to it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.