Help identifying a porcelain vessel (?)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Liana, May 17, 2021.

1. Liana

Liana Member

Morning!

I couldn't pass on this vessel. Love everything about it!

I suspect it's a satsuma style...which makes me think it's Japanese. Base fits like a glove, so it was made specifically for this "vase".

What is this? Why such pastel colors? Age? Origin? Is the base iron or bronze?
    IMG_8106.jpg IMG_8107.jpg IMG_8109.jpg IMG_8110.jpg IMG_8111.jpg

Thank you so much!

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Liana

Liana Member

12"L x 6"H x 8"W

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it's a Chinese piece. The mark and description of the ware seem to be consistent with this.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

Hua Ping Tang Zhi - Hua Ping Hall Make
    Non typical Chinese ware with thinly applied enamels. Similar to the WL1895 wares and also to the Hong Kong manufacturer United Wilson. All pieces with marks of this kind appears to date to the last quarter of the 20th century.

One example of many they show next to your mark.

upload_2021-5-17_11-8-48.png upload_2021-5-17_11-7-41.png

5. Liana

Liana Member

Interesting. Thank you! Is this still considered a vase?

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Kinda looks like a soup tureen to me, but WDIK!!:rolleyes: Very NICE!! @say_it_slowly??

I'd have to put a gorgeous artificial flower arrangement, else kill whatever live went in there with my 'black thumb'!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Liana likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe call it a cache pot though it's in the shape of a monteith which were used to place wine bottles or glasses held in place by the notched rim.

http://uncorked.winterthur.org/consumption-equipage/monteiths/

upload_2021-5-17_12-8-10.png

"Monteiths, filled with cool water or ice, were used for chilling wine bottles and cooling or rinsing wine glasses; the latter were inverted and hung from the notched rim. The earliest written mention of monteiths may be by Anthony á Wood, an Oxford diarist writing in 1683."

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Test the base with a magnet to find out if it is iron. Bronze could be 'slightly' magnetic if there is nickel in it.

Liana likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Nice item, as others have said it looks like fairly recent Chinese, but it looks nicely made and some of these reproductions are quite expensive.

The mark on the bottom says Huarong Tang Zhi (huarong tang made). Huarong Tang was a porcelain maker in China at the end of the Qing dynasty and made high quality items for export. Presumably they have been reproduced as with your item here although I would just have someone perhaps look it over at a decent local auction house in case it is original.

Here is a similar one https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/large-chinese-porcelain-15-bowl-1902990123

@Liana I don't have this mark in my database yet, are you OK if I use your image to add it in - many thanks.

10. Liana

Liana Member

Thank you so much! Definitely use the mark or any pictures you'd like!

Ce BCA likes this.
  11. Liana

Liana Member

I think I feel a bit of a pull, barely there... So not iron.

Ce BCA likes this.
  12. Liana

Liana Member

Interesting! Thanks so much!

Ce BCA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted