Help identifying an english desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nvntivs, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

general view 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

Good evening everyone. I would like to ask for help with identification on an antique English desk.

Since these desks were made for several centuries with more or less the same look I just don’t trust my own estimate and would like to ask for more opinions.

The desk is made of three parts and seems to have its original, signed locks. It seems, that it was already repaired a couple of times. But the wheels seem to be original too.

What I am not sure of is if there is veneer on some fronts or not. The drawers and the top seem to be solid, but if you look at the last picture, the bottom looks veneered? Or is it just some rather unusual chipping?

I made several pictures and hope these will be of sufficient help. If someone would like to have more or supersized pictures - just ask.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, your eminence. (I hope I got that right.;))
    The furniture people will be along soon.

Nvntivs likes this.
  4. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

:) That it just right. There was a time when I had frequent contact with the Catholic church and well… I just like the sound of their titles :angelic:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I didn't know the right term in English, I am Dutch. I have met a few nuntii though, being a former theology student. I like the old Latin spelling you used, that makes it more formal, in a good way.:)

6. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

well, it is a bit off topic. But I used to learn at our local division of the papal personal prelature for about a year.. many years ago. This was an amazing time... However, with the new pope the gist is gone somehow…probably and hopefully not forever. About the Latin spelling… ;) it is all or nothing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the bottom might be a later addition,the top seems to have some age,but Im a rank amateur so hopefully others will have more info.

Nvntivs likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just a amateur's speculation - does the crown with VR beneath indicate that at least the lock mechanism was made during Victoria's reign?

9. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

I know that this mark was already topic of several discussions. And that some proposed, that it means Victoria Regina, however I wasn't able to dig up more details

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't see any veneer on this. Those mitered corners tend to chip shallow so could look like a veneer. No expert on English furniture but would think Victorian.

Nvntivs likes this.
  11. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

OK, thanks for the information so far. I still hope for an expert in this kind of furniture to see this topic. My guess was also victorian. I mean as far as I know - Georgian desks usually never are made of 3 detachable parts but are solid. Also the way the locks are made speaks rather for a production after the 1850 but before 1900. Even without taking the locks into the consideration, in my opinion the construction rules out any time after 1900. The leather top is not so important I think, since these were often replaced several times.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's fine. I own its twin. 1860s or a bit later, and the top may well be original. Not hugely valuable these days, but useful.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have one myself quite similar.
    It really does help to select 'full size' for all images. People with useful opinions may not bother clicking on thumbnails.

14. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

Thanks for the comment. I do not seek an item of a high pecunial value. ;) But I do seek a study with a genuine victorian feeling. Maybe in Britain or the US it is rather easy to find genuine victorian or even earlier desks, but here in Germany you mostly will get stuck with 1920s or 1950s.

However, just being a twin is not necessarily equal to be of same age. They make these desks even new in the same way. Nowadays even in fine quality wood again... look here https://tinyurl.com/yak8fp8t
    In my opinion still a fake :)

15. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Nvntivs. I just love the desk and I don't understand why these functional and beautiful pieces are not more popular. I had a side table similar to this at one stage and it was sold to me as Victorian, mid to late 1800's in mahogany. I think the dove tail joints are amazing...so fine and such craftsmanship. It's clearly had good use and that just adds to the appeal for me. Victorian furniture in Australia is so cheap now. Full height mahogany bookcases for $200-$400, cedar chiffoniers for $100-$200 and other items still cheaper. :(

Any Jewelry and Nvntivs like this.
  16. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

Thank you AuDragon. It is not only in Australia that the market for antiques is down. These days the society often does not cherish it's own past. In Germany you can literally feel some subliminal hate for all the times before 1960s. I recently had an offer for a wonderful baroque cabinet from around 1750, about 2,80 m high. With all its original fittings, locks and keys… even the glass seemed to be from the time. They asked 1200 Euro for it. I mean guys…This is approximately the same price IKEA calculated me for a bedroom wardrobe…

Regarding victorian furniture in Australia. Yeah, I noticed that before. Before I decided which desk I would like to have I really made a research to lern the materials and the techniques which were used. Tried as good as I can to learn to distinguish the genuine antique pieces from those of 20th century. In this time I frequently found ads from Australia selling great stuff I would definitely have bought without any further questions if it was offered this way here. Probably, as a long-time English colony you just have plenty of it in stock :D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

And the many Brits that have been and still are migrating to Australia.

18. Any Jewelry

Or reproduction?;)
    Beautiful craftsmanship though. Pity the seller didn't say where it was made. Indonesia manufactures good quality repro furniture for European movies and television series.

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Over here, repro furniture can be far more expensive than original.

20. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

you can certainly say that. I know I am a bit stubborn when it comes to such questions. You know, I always think of a reproduction as of something a bit tacky.

Just take a look here:
    https://tinyurl.com/ybc324h2
    This is the house of one of the former Russian oligarchs. They used more gold foil during its construction than was used for Versailles, but damn is thing just ugly and cheap. Even when putting the incredibly ugly paintings of him and his family aside. Thus I would prefer an old and battered genuine antique table to a technically perfect and much more elaborated reproduction. For me antiquities are more than just a style, they are like small (or bigger) pieces of history preserved in a certain shape.

AuDragon, Ownedbybear and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted