Help Identifying and What Do I Do With Them?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Anna Johndrow, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

The pictured items have been in my family for as long as I can remember; so much so that they have no distinct history or story to enthrall anyone with. They were always "just there". I have always assumed that they once belonged to my Great Grandparents who were missionaries in Burma from the late 19th century to around WWII when they moved to Puerto Rico. I believe, however, that these were in my Great Great Aunt's home in Ames, Iowa...which was a depository for a lot of my great grandparent's belongings. They probably came to us at her passing.

The three knives have different marking on the silver portion above the handles than what appear on the blades. I figured out that the blades are electro plated but I believe the portion above the handles is not. The forks do not have any markings aside from those on that portion above the handle in spite of the fact that the engravings on the knives and forks are the same. The handles do not appear to be ivory, in my estimation. All three forks have split lengthwise. The knives have not. I have assumed these were used to eat seafood based on the pick put the pick does not have any of the markings of the knives and forks.

The trident piece is not part of the set as its handle appears to be bone and it has a totally different metal and design. I have not cleaned it with too much vigor as I am afraid of damaging the handle, which has also split.

So, I am interested in finding these items a good home but am a loss as to how to go about it other than on Ebay, which I am not excited about. Is there any interest in this type of antique? What is the best way of connecting the items with those who would DSCN4478.JPG DSCN4475.JPG DSCN4477.JPG DSCN4479.JPG DSCN4481.JPG DSCN4480.JPG appreciate them?

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The ferrules on the knives (and forks if they are marked the same) are English and made of sterling silver. The blades and tines are silverplated at best. Sterling was not often used as knife blades since silver does not hold a sharp edge as well as plated ones would. Could have been used for fish, but not exclusively.

The "trident fork" is for toasting bread! A really cool piece!

I don't think that "pick" has any connection to the other pieces. Doesn't look like a seafood pick - meant for lobster, crab, escargot, etc. And fin fish don't require a pick.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

i need help, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You could TRY the "SELL" forum on this site, however, I don't know how much luck you might have! I've never tried it....you could ask if others have.....you might want to first search a few sites such as Ebay, Etsy, RubyLane....each is ".com" to see if you can find something similar that might have sold, to help you establish approximate value....to help you in asking price......just a suggestion!! Otherwise, there are always auction sites....which I also don't know much about.....a little, but not much!!! Save & use the information you've been helped with above to help you if/when you do get to listing your pieces!!!! Good Luck!!!!:):)

i need help and antidiem like this.