Featured Help Identifying Antique Dresser Style & Time Period

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by llennon, Oct 2, 2019.

1. llennon

llennon New Member

I would like to identify the style, time period and potential value of my antique dresser/chest of drawers. I bought it many years ago and do not have any information or history on it. There are no manufacturer markings. Other similar pieces are identified as American Empire. Is that what this piece is? I would so appreciate any help! Thank you!

IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0284.jpg

cxgirl, i need help and Michael77 like this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Nice piece, wait for the furniture pros they will be along. Maybe include a photo of rear also.

i need help likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We will also need larger pictures than the ones that appear above. Can you simply expand the same views so we can see better details?

i need help likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, @llennon!! I would think it would be American Empire.....here's another example from Google on the Web: Generally 1815- 1825.....+/-.............

ZZZZZZ EMPIRE STYLE DRESSER.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    i need help and komokwa like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is Empire Revival circa 1910.

Michael77, i need help and llennon like this.
  6. llennon

llennon New Member

Thank you so much for your help!

i need help likes this.
  7. llennon

llennon New Member

Just so I understand because I have no knowledge whatsoever!!...what is the difference? What characteristics do you see that make it Empire Revival versus earlier Empire? I would just love to know a little more. Thank you so much!!

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Am anxious to see/hear that explained too!!! Since I was apparently +/- 80-90 years off!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Michael77 likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Early 20th century empire revival furniture tends to be smaller and the design elements are pared down in comparison to the earlier empire period. The use of machines also comes in to play with dovetails being machine cut and sides paneled rather than solid. Veneers are thinner and the use of lesser hardwoods stained to mimic more expensive woods comes in to play. Even without seeing all the details of your piece, I can tell it is revival based on my experience.

Here is a period piece of similar form for comparison.

[​IMG]

Tanya, cxgirl, llennon and 3 others like this.
  11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I tend to key off the size of the feet. The revival ones tend to be less stout. That example verybrad provided is a beauty.

llennon and i need help like this.
  12. llennon

llennon New Member

Thank you very much for the explanation! That completely makes sense. I’m happy to learn the difference.
    So appreciate your help and time!! Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted