Help identifying bench/mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by zoekope, Aug 11, 2019.

1. zoekope

zoekope New Member

Hello,

I would appreciate any help identifying age and brand of this furniture. The back of the mirror is stamped “NO 440 10” and the back of the bench is stamped “NO 440 12”. Thanks in advance.

Michael77 likes this.
  2. zoekope

zoekope New Member

Picture 1

Attached Files:

3. zoekope

zoekope New Member

picture 2

Attached Files:

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, zoekope! Nice quartersawn oak bench and mirror/coat or hat rack! Probably circa 1900. The numbers are not going to tell you who made them, but they do show that they were made as part of a set.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mission/arts and craft style,but Im pretty sure Stickley always marked their stuff so it could be one of a 1000 manufacturers.

kyratango likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Arts and crafts or mission style Hey-day was about 1910 in the US but pieces were made a decade or so earlier and later. Not by any of the best American makers and these don't scream American to me. Very well could be English or Continental. Where did you get them?

kyratango and PortableTreasures like this.
  7. zoekope

zoekope New Member

At an estate sale in Michigan.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

More than likely American but , of course, could still be foreign. Those hooks are unique and may be the key to determining who made these.

9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

A1451F9C-8A0B-4395-83CF-2C8238CF1D03.jpeg

Our Stickley furniture is marked; our dressers (above) have a light mark that’s upside down in the top drawer. Our sewing table has a heavier mark that looks burned in (below). There are also patent marks stamped on them. Obviously this is not a definitive guide, and these pieces are, I believe, early 20th century.

9A8AFB76-0C6D-4647-9825-8C5366F34DEB.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted