Help Identifying Block Front Secretary

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by trishw313, Feb 8, 2019.

1. trishw313

trishw313 New Member

Hello, I came into possession of this large secretary about twenty years ago and don't know anything about it other than being told it is a reproduction. There are no markings on it. There are labels on the bottom of drawers D, DI, DII and on the piece body indicating placement. It looks to be marked with an indelible marker after staining. It is 44" wide, 25" deep and 98" high. At one time there was a finial in the center which has been lost. I've been doing a lot of internet searching and can't find one just like it. The finial is different from most reproductions of the same size. Any insight will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 and ulilwitch like this.
  2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

That is just beautiful. Looks like the old chippendale design. You could try that. This type was also called a bureau. I hope someone can figure it out because I would love to know what all the little cubbies on the hutch are for. My first thought was curio. My second was mail sorter. I really don't know.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Appears to be a modern import from the last 30 years. My bet would be Indonesian in origin.

trishw313 and ulilwitch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted