help identifying blue vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by capitulation, Mar 25, 2019.

1. capitulation

capitulation Active Member

hello,

these vases belonged to either my grandmother or great grandmother. They only have numbers on the bottom (a couple say '163') - no makers mark. Theyre hand painted but Im not sure what they are or if they are complete or not.

Any hints on identification are most appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

83F85C8C-449C-429C-933F-9029ECE1FD0B.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, capitulation! :)
    Can you add photo of the bottom please? Choose Full size instead of thumbnail.

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and dgbjwc like this.
  3. capitulation

Unfortunately these are in another state and packed up somewhere that my 80 something year old parents are unsure of. All I know is a couple of them say 163 on the bottom

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    cxgirl and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m sure the Glass Folks will do their best to help. ;)

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome capitulation - they look like dresser or cologne bottles missing their stoppers - except maybe for the one on the farthest right. That bottle looks like it may have its stopper. And could the one in the middle be a jar?

Sometimes with these bottles the numbers of the bottom would match the numbers on the missing stoppers. I would date the bottles to the latter part of the 19th century to first part of the 20th. Most likely German or Bohemian. Quite lovely!
    Don

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with dgb.
    Bohemian enamel vanity bottles - enamel painted. Late 1800s as that is when the blue bird/swallow pattern was so popular.

Also agree the middle one looks like a powder jar and you have one stopper on the bottle to the right.

Very nice.

cxgirl, i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  7. capitulation

Thank you very much to both of you for the swift reply and area of origin. This is consistent with my family history and makes a lot of sense. Thats very interesting the date range can be determined by the color/pattern. Now Im wondering if there might be powder residue in the middle one. My parents will be absolutely delighted to learn this information. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted