Help Identifying Chapel Design Sample

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Toustorm, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Toustorm

Toustorm New Member

Here is another piece that was given to me by a client as a present at work. It appears to be a sample of some chapel's stained glass windows. The handwriting is in script, and I cannot read much of what is written on the back but from what i can make out, it is a description of the design it's dimensions, and placement. I would like to know it's origin, approximate age, and history if anyone can identify it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The writing on the back gives the Bible references to the scenes pictured. Book, chapter and verse

Each window is referred to as a "light."

3. Toustorm

Toustorm New Member

Thanks! Would you happen know where this piece is from or what the purpose of it was?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sorry, I do not. Clearly done for the usual purpose - illustrating Bible stories for the parishioners. Could have been anywhere. I do see that the writer used the archaic word "ye" in the note about scale - "3/4 of an inch to ye foot."

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you post a close-up in focus of the designer's name please? Last two lines in pencil on back.

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Possible it's a design for a private chapel.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Now if you could find those windows, the design sketch would be really cool !

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This might be helpful. Imagine only a handful of stained glass studios operating in Victorian era. And very possible they're still extent; religious buildings tend to survive urban "renewal" when other types of historic buildings don't.

http://stainedglass.org/?page_id=169

Debora

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That's COOL! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted