Featured HELP IDENTIFYING/DATING A SIDEBOARD

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by The Good Doctor, May 25, 2019.

1. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor New Member

I'd like to sell an inherited sideboard but have no idea how old it is or what it's worth. I've looked all over online and haven't found anything similar. It weighs A TON even without the marble top.

It's in a bit of a cramped space and I can't move it myself, so these are the best overall pics I could get. There are two shelves per side. Thought the type of key might help with identification as well. Marble top is in that wooden casing for transport.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's difficult to tell much without a full front view/photo, I'll guess C. 1900 based on the shelf brackets. Where are you located, europe or the states?

3. The Good Doctor

Southern CA.

4. James Conrad

Thanks for letting us know, always helpful to know where old furniture is located at the moment.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

looks like an art deco serpentine buffet/credenza. people are asking alot for them pretty.

6. James Conrad

7. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

i would have been buried in it. it would have been mine forever.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. The Good Doctor

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up based on that piece on 1stDibs. First off "similar" isn't same as and 2, that site has prices that are often way out of line with reality.
    I would contact an auction house in your area that deals with these objects to get a better idea what the market really is.

Jeff Drum, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. The Good Doctor

Oh, I don't imagine I'll get 18k for it, but I'm delighted to hear it's not a throwaway from Sears and Roebuck that'd cost me more to have carted off than it's worth.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. James Conrad

I think that's correct, not a throw away by any means but, you are going to need MUCH better photos of entire piece when you approach an auction house, you can't really tell for sure what you have exactly.

12. James Conrad

Wait for Brad & others to comment, I'd guess Alex is correct though, the piece is French or european, i don't think it's american. Still, that should be a plus in SoCal.

13. The Good Doctor

Thank you so much for your help, James. And thank you, Alex Webb. Man, there sure are some friendly, helpful folks on here.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

From what I can see, this looks pretty nice. 1930s art deco buffet. Very well could be French. If this can be attributed to a known designer the value soars. You need to look closely for marks. Otherwise, value will depend on market. Would think under 4 figures for most markets. You might do better in CA.

15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME The Good Doctor !!! ... Joy.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted