Help Identifying Dresser

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Elizabeth Walters, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Elizabeth Walters

Elizabeth Walters New Member

Hi! I’m glad to have found this forum and have confidence I’ll find an answer to my question. I’m trying to identify any and all information about this dresser. I’m in the process of trying to strip it and it’s been a complete fail so the upper drawers are a slightly different color. Original pulls pictured in second drawer. The dresser does have an oval mirror that is currently detached and I can include photos if that will help identify this piece. Thank you! D3E1C0F3-BE6A-40EB-8DBA-234FD4E99256.jpeg 32A17F47-7169-44A5-85AA-605F22906643.jpeg 11D16A49-BF03-4282-8D87-85B3261BBBD2.jpeg 86005ACA-7AC4-4B45-AF1F-D1B102592CC2.jpeg

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Almost impossible to strip that old red stain. It penetrated deep into the wood.
    Maybe @verybrad or @Ghopper1924 have experience with this.

1930ish
    Think the glass knobs are the replacements.

People come and go at all hours, so be sure to check back.
    Welcome to the board.

3. Elizabeth Walters

Yes, the glass knobs are replacements. I’ve had this dresser since my high school days (unsure how my parents originally obtained it). When I wet dust, red color is lifted off. I have no idea what I’m working with. Thank you for the feedback. I’ll be sure to keep checking for more responses.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Cluttered nailed the date: 1930s. Mahogany bow-front dresser. Nice and solid. Not alot of value in these days of the "brown furniture depression," but well made and could last another hundred years with a little TLC.

5. Elizabeth Walters

Thank you! The last thing I would do is paint it. Like I mentioned above, even dusting will leave a trail of red liquid so you can imagine the horror show when my toddler leaves something with condensation on it. I’m not a huge fan of the redness so my ultimate goal was to tone down as much as possible before sealing it.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have found that if stripping a piece save a lot of the of the stripped gunk to stain any pieces that need a darker coat. Once it is all stripped and color matched use finish coats of polyurethane to seal the color and the piece.
    greg

judy and Elizabeth Walters like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this could be a bit older than the 30s. Probably teens. Could be a red aniline dye. They are alcohol soluble but almost impossible to get completely out. You might be better off to put more red back in to the top drawers and call it a day.

judy and Elizabeth Walters like this.
  8. Elizabeth Walters

I saw this on the back of the (now) detached mirror. Any information about this company? 92C8CE8F-8F24-4450-93B3-D40ED8DB4BBC.jpeg

judy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Internet mentions seem to be just post-World War I. (1917-1919-ish.) Retailer, not manufacturer I think. They're listed in 1917 phone book as "Fur & Rugs" and advertising in trades for specific types of furniture.

Debora

Elizabeth Walters likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted