Help identifying eagle plaque

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by JohnCNX, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JohnCNX

JohnCNX New Member

I only put this in the military forum as it looks military - could be totally wrong. I have had this since late 60’s when it was given to me by a French woman who my family knew. I have no idea as to the origins – the inscription “pluribus unum” does lead me to the US motto E pluribus unum – one from many or rather with no E – one out of many. So a possible US link. As you can see from reverse it was at one time mounted on a pole or standard carrier if that’s the correct word. It is about 70cm wide and carved wood. And yes its lost one of the holly (or whatever it is) branches - it was like this when I was given it. Any ideas? Thanks John IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1772.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Can not tell from the photo but it is the size that would have gone over a doorway. If it was pole decoration it would have been finished on the back. Our old friend Skeetz would know for sure. He ID'd mine as being 200 years old.
    Does it feel lighter than it looks? An other sign of old age. The E has worn off it should be at the base of the right wing. I wonder if it also had the arrows in the left claw?
    greg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Olive branch, not holly and missing arrows as Greg pointed out. But seeing the snake? in the eagle's mouth is more Mexican, no?

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Possibly attached to something else in this fashion. 033D5C33-F407-43E8-91DA-B2548A053C20.jpeg

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think 1950-60s wall decor. That was the period of Early American decorating.

I would imagine pressed wood. Composite sawdust per se. Could even be Syroco
    You will have to do some research to see if it is Syroco.

https://library.syr.edu/digital/guides/s/syroco.htm

Fid, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. JohnCNX

JohnCNX New Member

Thanks for all your contributions - busy atm as have builders in! Will have a look at the suggestions and get back.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I, too, think it was 1950s wall decor. When we moved into hubby's ancestral home - built in 1870 - his mother had done the decorating back in the 50s. Two rooms had wallpaper with eagles and drums. The light switches had bronze covers with eagles on top. The lamps had wooden bases with eagles on them. Eagle finials on top. The furniture was all rock maple with 1776 pattern upholstery. It took several years for me to get my husband to agree to redecorate. Egad!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted