Featured Help identifying English piece

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Robert daugherty, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Robert daugherty

Robert daugherty New Member

Assuming this is 19th century but confused if the marking says 67 or 1667

Attached Files:

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The Victorians loved the 17th century. This seems to be an unusually faithful homage, but I would date it to ca. 1890-1900.

Figtree3, i need help, blooey and 7 others like this.
  3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

That is beautiful!

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a Historic Revival piece, the date is a reference to the style. Great carving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I rotated and lightened a bit though not sure it's helpful. Since there are initials GR and BR with a year 67, could it be a marriage piece I wonder. (Assuming GR is not meant to be Georgius Rex)

upload_2020-6-17_10-32-27.png

6. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

That would be right at home in Hearst Castle ...... Neat piece

Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Don't think this is a marriage.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the glass inserts . I bet it weighs a ton !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not thinking a marriage of furniture if that's what you mean, a marriage of people. GR loves BR and they got married in 1867, that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

By marriage piece here is meant a fine piece of furniture to commemorate a real marriage, as in a union between a man and woman, am I right? Not two pieces of furniture from different eras stacked on each other, or?

Having said that, and by no means being an expert on anything except maybe a few languages and fonts, I venture that the SEVEN in 67 may actually be a ONE. Old European numerals featured a "flagged" numeral 1, and a "crossed" numeral 7. Therefore it's possible that the two numerals could combine to make 61, not 67.

That is neither here nor there EXCEPT if anyone good at research in the British royal and/or aristocrat annals can establish that a binding union as in a marriage took place between two individuals with the initials GR and BR in either 1861 or 1761, it might lead to a provenance, somewhere.

Only a flight of fancy but then, that's my specialty. A truly lovely piece. I am voting for 19th century, not 18th. Unless the mirror glass is a replacement, it looks too clean and fresh to be 18th cent.

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This would not be made in the 18thc. - style is 17thc and 19thc revival as stated above.

12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

How about 1761 then. As in,
    September 8, 1761 – Wedding of George III and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in the Chapel Royal of St. James’ Palace, London
    or a different kind of commemorative piece:
    September 22, 1761 – Coronation of George III
    Source: http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/cu...-marriages-deaths-and-other-important-events/

Thanks to:

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The 17th century is the 1600's not the 1700's.

14. Any Jewelry

As said before, this is a 19th century Historic Revival piece of furniture. It is not 18th century in style or manufacture.
    And although it is a quality piece, it is by no means of royal quality.

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The British do not use ones which resemble sevens. That's a seven.

I agree it's late 19th. I suspect someone had it commissioned for an anniversary rather than the actual marriage: 1867 would be too early for it. The Victorians had a bit of a thing for slightly muddled mixes of styling and hommage pieces. That fad reached a screaming crescendo in the 1880s and 90s. This one is a bit of a mad confusion of Tudor and Jacobean, anyhow.

Court cupboard. Which has nothing to do with royalty.

I agree on the mirroring too: it's machine rolled silvered glass.

17th C mirrors were wavy rippled pieces, and typically wall hanging. They aren't found set in furniture. Your family of quality would have had wall ones or small hand mirrors.

This is a real 17th C one with a glorious patina:

[​IMG]

16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Absolutely a revival piece & the carving is rather crude, I suspect the oak was dried in the manner of modern boarded cabinetwork and, at that point oak is HIDEOUSLY hard and difficult to work.
    Unlike period 17th century pieces, the oak was riven (split) from the tree, it was worked while green (wet) which carves wonderfully, almost like butter with sharp tools.
    I see 1671 as date on OP cupboard, that's a fantasy of course but it was in the Victorian age where whimsy was fashionable. :happy:

742D08D3-9335-44ED-85BA-1A919469F52F.jpeg

17. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I would add I am positive I have never seen a period court cupboard neither in USA or UK that had glass mirrors, it just wasn't done in that era.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That close up is useful - I agree, 1671 is the purported date. The reason mirrors weren't done is they were both expensive and not flat.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Are you sure it was riven?:playful::hilarious:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted