Help Identifying Glass Compote Pattern and Maker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by shadyoak, Feb 21, 2021.

1. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

IMG_4325.jpg Can anyone assist with identifying this glass pattern and maker? It appears that it may be pressed and etched glass. This has quite a few different design elements. The base has a six pointed star, hobnails, diamonds and fans. The bowl has an eight pointed star surrounded by what appear to be flower petals, hobnails, arches, diamond point columns and a sawtooth rim. The stem has panels. This weighs slightly over 1-1/2 pounds and measures 6-1/2" tall and 5-3/4" across the rim. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2021
  2. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

I believe this may be American Brilliant Period Cut Glass. It has green coloring in spots when placed in uv black light. It has random and irregular signs of wear. When tapped it resonates with a bell tone. It throws color in the areas with deep angled cuts. The notching on the upper edge is does not form a sharp V; it is more of a U shape. I have found photos of pieces with similar cuts to this piece (even with the 8 pointed star with 3 rays, petals or leaves between each of the points) but have been unable to identify a pattern or maker yet. I do not know if this is a compote or candy dish or other. Thanks for any help you can provide to better identify this piece.

3. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

The hobnails are 6 sided. Thanks.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I really hate to to be the one to throw cold water on someone's hopes, but this may prove to have been from Indiana Glass, (toward the lower portion of the barrel) from the early 1920s, later than most accepted EAPG was made. If my hint is too broad, Indiana Glass is not known for making quality glass.

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the details are very difficult to see in your photo; not to mention I'm half blind with cataracts in the left eye, and some weird protein film going on with my right eye. So I tend to take your word for it that this may have been cut glass.

Following the comment by @Cherryhill I tried to expand the image to see if I could possibly discern something recognizable. SO I'm able to see that this is perhaps by Imperial Glass in their #612 pattern (AKA: Star and File); confusion on dates as one ref. says 1911 and another says 1920s

7. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

8. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

Thank you for the feedback. I felt that it was most likely not American Brilliant because I thought it would be of nicer quality. I really did not have anything to compare it to though.

9. shadyoak

shadyoak New Member

This piece indeed matches the examples I see when I search on Imperial Glass Star and File 612. I did not use the word file when I was conducting my research. Was file commonly used in EAPG glass patterns? Thank you so much for the feedback!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted