Help identifying glassware, please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 17, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I'm trying to learn and need some help to see if I have guessed right on the first few. Also, if you recognize something, help is very much appreciated. TYIA IMG_7816.jpg
    #1 I'm thinking possibly Lancaster Glass Co in Topaz Footed Compote? 5 1/4" tall no marks

IMG_7847.jpg IMG_7817.jpg
    #2 These color change so maybe alexandrite glass and Moser? I could not find this shape though The rims are dinged a bit 2 1/2" t x 5" w Not marked They are paper thin glass What would you use them for since they are so delicate?
    IMG_7793.jpg
    #3 Unknown green depression glass with ivy etching Only found a set of unknown glasses with what looks like the same pattern Did this have a lid? Is it a vase? Just over 7" tall
    IMG_7792.jpg
    #4 It looks older to me Smooth pontil on the bottom Is this a footed bud vase? almost 8" tall No marks
    IMG_7795.jpg
    #5 Don't know where to begin on this one No marks Very thick and heavy Smooth pontil on the bottom 6 1/2" tall x 5 1/4" wide Is it a vase?
    IMG_7807.jpg
    #6 Another one that I don't know where to begin Thick and heavy glass No marks approx 8" t x 4" w

LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. gauntlettgems

IMG_7805.jpg
    #7 I'm thinking L G Wright pressed glass toothpick holder in turquoise I could not find a similar pattern Not marked 3" t x 2 3/4" w

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

#2 - Neodymium or Alexanderite glass. Moser would be a good guess.
    They are finger bowls and they would have had an underplate.

#4 - Does it look like it might have had a stopper? Cologne or vanity bottle?

#6 - I'm pretty sure is Tiffin glass. Might be part of their Moderne line, but I
    haven't checked.

I think #3 is a vase and didn't have a lid. I've seen that shape before. Lovely piece, but sorry I can't help with it.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The first one is Cambridge, I have the same piece. It's great for serving nuts at cocktail time :)

Cherryhill and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

6. gauntlettgems

Well, I was far off! Dang it... Thank you for helping me.

7. gauntlettgems

#4 does not look like it might of had a stopper It's very smooth on the interior but that does make sense

Is the alexandrite glass worthless because of the dings in the rims?

I was so sure that #7 was pressed glass and I was on the right track lol

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

No, 7 is pressed glass, a process being used to for manufacturing glass since about 1825. The term Pressed Glass does not imply value by itself, but only to a period of production, from 1840 to 1910 or so, and then not all has value. Twenty years ago. almost all pressed glass could be said to have value. Since then so many collections have come on the market that the bottom has dropped out of the market, only very, very few pieces have retained any value. Some of us still collect it because of the skill of the mold makers, but few of us expect to receive any value for our collections.
    I yield the soapbox.

9. gauntlettgems

I'm not disappointed in price at all but rather the fact that I thought I was learning terms, how to research better and getting better at identifying types of glass and possible makers. lol

10. clutteredcloset49

You are.
    Now you just have to apply them to the correct items.

Keep picking our brains. You'll learn a lot quicker here than we all did.
    We didn't have the benefit of the computer. We had libraries and if lucky a decent collection of books to check out. If we could get around, older antique dealers who were willing to teach us.

11. gauntlettgems

I so appreciate all the help and the willingness to lend a hand or brain! TY e1

12. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The alexandrite pieces are not "worthless" but the value is significantly decreased because of the flea bites. Someone may want to pay a few dollars ea. to fill in a collection until undamaged ones could be found. But they would be a hard sell. Use them and enjoy the cool color change properties of this glass. I could imagine using them as Paper clip holders on a desk, or fill them with M&M's. Maybe use them to hold ranch dressing for a veggie tray dip. Anything you could use a small bowl for.
    I personally think everybody should have a piece of Alexandrite glass in their collection just for show! But I'm biased, I have collected it for years and have over 100 pieces both new and old.

13. gauntlettgems

Oooh! I wanna see a pic! I knew nothing about it until I got these pieces and they are beautiful! I might start collecting these pieces too! They are so beautiful @Bdigger

14. Bdigger

@gauntlettgems Here are a couple pics of part of my Alex collection. Sorry they aren't the best quality. but it'll give you an idea!

DSCN4185 (2).JPG
    DSCN4186.JPG

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Bdigger - what an amazing display of prettiness!

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Wonderful collection!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,
    What wonderful collection!!! I have 5 or 6 pieces.
    greg

18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ditto

19. clutteredcloset49

If you decide to keep them for yourself, you may be able to find someone who repairs glass and can grind and polish down the tops.

The flea bites seem minor. You can smooth down rough edges with black 600 wet and dry sand paper (Carbodium [sp] paper).
    Use with water. It won't leave the area shiny, but will leave a satin finish - The purpose is to smooth the sharp edge.

Try it on something you don't care about first.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    dgbjwc likes this.
  20. Bdigger

Thanks Greg.im glad you like it. Wish I could get a better picture of it. It looks all jumbled up, and that’s only 2 of the 5 shelf fulls I have. Got some stashed in various cupboards around here too! I’m addicted! Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted