Help identifying hand painted japanese plate thing?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by flatfeet67, Apr 24, 2018.

1. flatfeet67

flatfeet67 Member

Hi there, can anybody please tell me what this small plate thing was used for, incense, candles, who knows. Anyways it has 2 embossed circles on the front and 2 quite deep pockets at the back, maybe for a stand? Please solve this mystery. Thanks. Plate 1.jpg plate 2.jpg plate 3.jpg

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Guessing a cruet. Salt & pepper and mustard? Or an egg cup in the middle with Salt and pepper pots.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is the bottom plate. The two indents held salt and pepper shakers and the center held an oil cruet. Sold several sets over the years. My favorite was two tomatoes as the shakers and celery stalk as the oil. it was an Occupied Japan piece.
    greg

Houseful and Huntingtreasure like this.
  4. flatfeet67

flatfeet67 Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't believe i never thought of that, sounds bang on. Thanks again.

5. flatfeet67

flatfeet67 Member

Hi there, thanks for the reply. That's definitely what it is, i knew the indents on the front were to small for candles. Was this on a metal stand or something else? the pockets on the back of the plate are quite deep.

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Think the ‘indents’ are just from the shape for the pots.

Draft saved Draft deleted