Help identifying hand woven rug...possibly Turkish Kilim? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by cartoongirl, Jun 15, 2015.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

I bought this rug at an estate sale maybe 10 years ago. I had it hanging on a wall, but I just redecorated my bedroom (60's-70's...so cool!) and have no use for it anymore.

It's 55 1/2" square, and the dyes look natural. The fabric is rough and a bit stiff....I've never had it cleaned. It is clean without stains, though, with perhaps a bit of dust.

Would be great to id it. Also wondering if there is any value, or should I pass it on to a thrift or friend?

Thanks!

IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1867.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a seriously odd rug.
    It's very nice , & with those 3 stripes at each end with twisted fabric , most certainly hand made.
    The added design in the lower center and the break in the design below that is strange to the eye and looks like the design was ill conceived , or or the weaver was running out of warp !
    It doesn't look like any Iranian rug I've ever seen.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This does not look like your typical Kilim. It's square shape and plain, broad ends before the fringe make me wonder whether this is a subtype of "needlework" flatweave used as a saddle. The colored design looks much more "embroidered" than woven in.

True Kilims are "slit woven" - meaning that when the weaver ends of one color to begin another, the ending color is woven back, creating a "slit" between the two colors.

See if you can find examples of the type called Jol.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. cartoongirl

Thanks for the replies!

Textile challenged knucklehead that I am...I posted the close ups of the back to show the weave. Here are some pics of the topside (and the dust)...looks like embroidery?

Bakers...thanks...I will search for Jol when I get a chance.

IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPG

5. Bakersgma

Oh my. So glad you explained about showing the underside.

Yes, this still looks like "embroidery." I assume (but hope you will confirm or deny because pictures can be deceiving) that the non-buff colored stitches (red, navy, etc.) stand proud of the buff backing, right?

cartoongirl likes this.
  6. cartoongirl

Stand proud (snicker) means raised? Yes, they are.

Messilane likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are there seams there? Is this 3 separate pieces stitched together?

This is what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

What's happening there?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Bakersgma likes this.
  8. komokwa

Oh....BTW , C-Girl.....nice painted toes !!!

( something oddly interesting about a barefoot girl ! :rolleyes:..)

cartoongirl likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Good catch on the apparent seam, Bob. The same line shows up on the opposite side of the central square. Can't see another place like that further up, but that doesn't mean there isn't one that's just better camouflaged in the pattern.

10. komokwa

me too me too....#2

11. cartoongirl

Good evening! Thanks for the replies, and thanks komo for your lovely compliment. Funny....was at a friend's last week and all us gals had our sandals on...everyone commented on what nice feet i have (the guys more than once...guys digging feet is surprisingly common....at least that's what I've heard ;))

I think the reason my feet are in good shape is because I rarely wore heels. I've always worked in workshops, factories, and studios. I wore work boots and sneakers. Makes sense.

Back to the possible saddle blanket...yes...it looks like a seam at one end of the center border, but it doesn't extend to the outer border.

IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG

12. komokwa

it's not a seam , it's a border line. There's 2 of em in the center square, one with extra design that shouldn't be there.
    The weaver did a bad measuring job.....ran over designs, and even quit on the lower right corner of the diamond design before they reached the end.

It's a reasonably nice rug , just not well executed .!

cartoongirl likes this.
  13. komokwa

oooops , sorry, not weaver , per say......needle worker of sorts...

( & yes...those look to be nice paddy paws ...C-Girl !!! :)..)

cartoongirl likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

You do know that there's a rule about making these things that requires that they may NOT be perfect, right? No man may make a rug in that part of the world without at least one imperfection. ;)

cartoongirl and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

Yup , I know that.
    But there's a big difference between a placed imperfection .....& screwing the pooch !! :rolleyes:

16. Bakersgma

Well.... it still counts. :p

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. CBri

CBri Member

Doesn't look quite like a traditional Turkish kilim. We have a couple of those. The colors are pretty but it could have been made for a mass market so that's why it looks a bit hurried. Eh clean it up a bit and find a good hard wood floor for it to call home. Might be from India. Hmmmmm. There is a rug forum online that has been pretty helpful from time to time for me.

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cartoongirl, I'm just curious... Where are you located? That SCALZO ruler looks WAY too familiar!

Draft saved Draft deleted