Featured Help identifying interesting wardrobe

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jdab, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Jdab

Jdab New Member

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

It's a wonderful piece. Thank you for sharing.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hi Jadab
    Your piece is English circa 1720-40, walnut ,with oyster cut veneers ,oak drawer sides ,the lock you have in the picture is a new lock,you should see the old locks in the other drawers.
    Very nice quality piece .

Regards Giotto .

Cucuel likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Does the underside of that drawer show circular saw marks or am I seeing things?

7. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hi Jdab
    It looks like there has been some restoration on your piece over the years ,to be expected ,New lock,new section on the base of the drawer, filler in some cracked areas ,re polished. (restored at some stage). what does it have inside ? are there 4-5 slim drawers that slide out ,for linen or shirts ect,that slide in grooves in the sides of the cabinet?
    I have attached a similar piece earlier than yours as an example of the style.

Regards Giotto.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those two lever locks are mid 19th usually. Someone has done something wonderful with burr walnut. Not a wardrobe: we'd call it a tall boy cupboard probably. Very high quality, that - I think, from the shape and so forth, 1860s ish. Started life my side of the pond.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Jdab

Jdab New Member

There is one slim shelf but it sit on a piece of wood, there Is another spot for a shelf but it the shelf was taken out.
    Thanks for the help I paid 150 usd sounds like i got a good deal

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think you stole it. ;)

Even though brown furniture isn't fashionable, the lovely veneer on this makes it very saleable indeed.

kyratango likes this.
  11. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hi Jdad
    Check inside on the sides to see if any grooves have been filled up with timber ,where the original drawers would have fitted in to the groove and slid into,
    Also did you find any original locks (should be steel with small bolt)?
    Also can you show us the slide bolts on the left hand door,and the lock on the door?
    Regards Giotto.

12. Jdab

Jdab New Member

Giotto,
    Here are pictures of the slide bolt and lock from one of the drawers. I dont see any filled grooves in the inside.

13. Jdab

Jdab New Member

14. giotto

giotto Active Member

15. Jdab

Jdab New Member

Giotto,

It doesn't look like there is a different hole for locks. The door like is the British 2 lever from the first set of photos. Ownedbybear thinks it's a tall boy cupboard from 1860s, here is a photo of one of the hinges

16. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hi Jdab
    Ownedbybear ,maybe correct or it maybe later it is not from the early 1700 like I thought,open the doors ,and stand back and take better images of construction and back.
    Regards Giotto.

17. Jdab

Jdab New Member

Giotto,
    Here are photos of the front with the door open and the back. Sadly the previous person cut a big hole in the back so the could put a tv inside so i am replacing it. Another thing i noticed is the bottom for the drawers are in grooves instead of glued or nailed and they dont use a rail system to slide they just sit on the frame.

18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It looked likely all along that this is not a period piece due to the hardware and lack of wear, but your more recent pics show it is even more recent, probably 20th century but with hand cut dovetails to make it seem older than it is. That is not a serious problem to resale value, since it has great visual impact and would appeal to decorators looking for a great antique look. It will not, however, be comparable in price to 18th century English period pieces seen at Christies, Sothebys, etc.

19. Jdab

Jdab New Member

Jeff,

The hardware was fully rusted but I cleaned them.

20. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The hardware should be brass so no rust, just tarnish. (If they are rusted steel that would be a real sign of incorrect hardware). The reason the brass hardware didn't look old (besides the locks that could have been replaced) was because it was cast without any hand tooling. My statement about "lack of wear" was referring to the fact that wood furniture as old as the 1700's shows wear and/or repairs - especially veneered pieces. This didn't show any so didn't look to be authentically antique. Subsequent pictures of the back and interior shows that even more clearly.

Draft saved Draft deleted