Help identifying intricate bowl Moroccan, Mexican, Turkish, American???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Jun 16, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Would love to know where you guys think this bowl is from? I apologize that it’s not an antique (pretty sure) but I need to know where this came from to satisfy my curiosity. It’s been bothering me lol. Very unique, parts are raised, some parts inset, different textures used. Pretty cool but no clue where it originated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely Islamic influence. Beyond that ... no clue.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9 inch.......12 inch....... 16 inch...........???????????????????????????

zat a bowl or a dish?

it's weird....and the siggy looks new...

judy, J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe a mid-century German potter in a frivolous mood?

I'm not seeing any Islamic symbolism. Just a repetitive image of a canopy in front of two Hanseatic warehouses around a central flower.:wacky:

judy, J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. J Dagger

I’m going to guess 12”. I’ll confirm later. Quite shallow bowl/dish. The signature and really everything look new. Either that or just pristinely clean and preserved. I was guessing it came out of the 90’s or later but total guess.

judy likes this.
  6. J Dagger

Haha, I’ll add that to the list of possibilities. German? (Frivolous mood German only, not typical German) :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The colors and the eye motif in the center both point me at Mediterranean somewhere, usually Southern or Eastern. It looks like an eye bead run amok.

8. Any Jewelry

If the centre is meant to be a nazar, they've got the colours mixed up and it is missing the black pupil.;) I wouldn't want those petal shapes in my eye.:jimlad:

This is a nazar, which has nothing to do with Islam, btw. It is used in countries with diverse religions, both dominant and minority ones.

[​IMG]

Islamic scholars frown upon the use of 'pagan' symbols. But some pre-Islamic-Christian-Hindu imagery like the nazar persists in countries where those religions are dominant.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OH NO....the evil eye...........run away....run away ...!!!!! :eek::eek:

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Komo, stay, it is meant to protect you against the evil eye.:)

11. J Dagger

It definitely looks very close to that! Maybe it will stay a mystery forever :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted