Featured Help identifying knockdown armoire

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joseph Baldwin, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Joseph Baldwin

Joseph Baldwin New Member

We need some help identifying a knockdown armoire we picked up a while back. I have been unable to find any kind of identifying marks on the piece, or engravings. It looks well loved on the back and inside, but beautiful on the front and sides. Just curious when and where it might be from if anyone has any insight. If you need any further clarification or pictures, just let me know! Also, if this isn't the right forum for this, steer me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!
    IMG_1757 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1758 Medium.jpeg
    Locking system seems to be intact, just no key for it.

IMG_1759 Medium.jpeg

IMG_1760 Medium.jpeg
    Back of piece

IMG_1761 Medium.jpeg
    Not sure the name of this, but this is how you connect the top to the body of the piece

IMG_1762 Medium.jpeg
    Inside back of the piece

IMG_1763 Medium.jpeg
    Right side

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1880, walnut. Secondary wood is pine. A bit plainer than most, which in today's market may be a positive. Made by a lot of companies so impossible to pin to a maker.

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto Brad-The elegant but simpler farm house primitive look may have survived the recent 'brown wood' purges of late.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty thing. Finding a skeleton key wouldn't be hard if you want to be bothered.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

the finish looks nice which is a blessing since veneer is so hard to refinish.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted