Help identifying maker of antique desk - Monterey Furniture?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by S Glanz, Mar 30, 2022.

1. S Glanz

S Glanz New Member

I have this lovely desk that looks to me very much like Monterey Coronado Furniture Straw Ivory Finish but the only marking is a stamp on the back showing the furniture company, city/state and a number. Can anyone tell me the year of this desk (assuming 1930's to 50's?) and who might have made it? and what the value might be. I'm in Northern CA and antique furniture is still very desireable here especially unique pieces like this.

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not antique since not 100 years old. Think you are about right in the dating but would think post-war. Similar to Monterey but doesn't match. Suppose the style could have evolved into your form but can find no evidence of such. I think more likely a knock-off. I can find no reference to a G&M Furniture CO. in CA anywhere. I can't help you as to your market for this in CA. It would be virtually worthless here where I live in the Midwest.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. S Glanz

S Glanz New Member

@komokwa thank you for that link, I was wondering why it wasn't stamped Monterey, you link shows even Monterey style competitor pieces have great value and are very sought after. Very interesting the drastic different opinions here - I posted another very unique item here in this forum and was told it was of little value in the midwest but sold for over $10k in CA. Your link solidifies that these early Monterey style pieces have good value and are highly sought after, especially in the very good condition of this particular piece. THANKS

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@S Glanz ....
    Dear Madame :

Things usually sell best in their respective markets ....
    A rule of thumb....but not carved in stone !

You're quite welcome !

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have had several pieces of Monterey and have never gotten more than $100.00 for any of them. Just not valued here. Too big to mess with shipping or I would be sending them to CA.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted