Help identifying mid-century dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ZReed, Sep 10, 2019.

1. ZReed

ZReed New Member

I need help identifying this mid-century (I believe) dresser. I have looked everywhere and am at a loss. The only identifying marks are the stamps on the back. It is EXTREMELY heavy. I am thinking blonde mahogany or possibly teak. It appears to b mid-century blonde veneer, but I cannot find any comparable pieces anywhere. Any thoughts as to who made this piece, time period and the material?

20190910_132541.jpg
    20190910_132342.jpg
    20190910_163826.jpg
    20190910_163810.jpg
    20190910_163843_HDR.jpg

Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Where did you get it?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. ZReed

ZReed New Member

I found it at my local Goodwill.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

@verybrad will probably know what kind of wood it is.

I remember a similar dresser I had that I decided might have come from North Carolina. I'll go see if I can figure that out.

judy, Christmasjoy and ZReed like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't really say what kind of wood that is with that heavily stained (pickled) finish. Very well could be mahogany but sincerely doubt teak. May be impossible to identify maker without finding a marked example. There were hundreds of makers of such furniture. I must say this appears better quality and design than most but would look so much better in a natural finish.

judy, Figtree3 and PortableTreasures like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I assume the OP has checked the top drawers on the inside side. (Once in a blue moon a maker's stamp will be there.)

Cool design.

7. ZReed

ZReed New Member

I did check all of the drawers and usual places for markings. The only one was the stamp on the back. I am thinking with the weight, it is probably blonde mahogany. Any idea on a value to place on it? It is apparent that it is missing a mirror. but I think it is still beautiful without. Do I have the time period/style correct as mid-century modern? Thanks for everyone's help!

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yes you have the time period correct, IMO. 50s plus or minus.

9. ZReed

ZReed New Member

I have discovered that it is walnut, which explains the weight! I am going to try my hand at restoring it. If restored to the walnut finish, any idea on value to place on it?

10. Bookahtoo

I thought you said it was veneer?

11. ZReed

ZReed New Member

It is walnut with what looks like walnut veneer under a painted blonde shellac. I'm not sure if the manufacturer painted it blonde or if someone else did. I found one that has the same form on the legs and handles that is without the blonde color, but with walnut veneer finish. It is hard to tell if that is the original or not.

12. Bookahtoo

The finish on yours looks professionally done to me.
    Can you direct us to the photo of the one with the walnut finish?

13. ZReed

ZReed New Member

I only found a stock image of it and can't find the original site the picture came from. It is a little different than the one I have, but overall style is the same.

Attached Files:

14. Bookahtoo

Wow- that's amazing you found that.
    I'm still looking, by the way. No luck yet.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sincerely doubt you will have much success at removing that factory finish. I think it will end up being a mess, have to be repainted, and consequently devalued. It is really in pretty good condition so I would leave it alone. You would be better off to sell this as-is and find another project worthy of your attention.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My sense is that the light color would be better for resale these days than the walnut finish would. (Take that with a grain of salt, since I generally don't sell things.)

ZReed likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted