Help identifying milk jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by deb miller, Nov 13, 2019.

1. deb miller

deb miller New Member

I know nothing about this small milk jug. Can anyone help identify the mark on the bottom, advise as to age, maker, etc? New Hall, early 19th Century perhaps? Is the 233 on the base the pattern number? Any ideas about the other mark on the base? Any information gratefully received! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Deb Miller!

Welcome to Antiquers.......

a photo of the entire piece might be helpful.:cat:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. deb miller

deb miller New Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. deb miller

deb miller New Member

Thank you Judy. Sorry, the 1st pdf is of the whole jug but maybe that didn't work! here goes... IMG_0411.jpg

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Style is early 19th c, no problem with that, could be New Hall, but to confirm you would have to match the pattern to a known piece of New Hall.
    First reaction was that the foot was a bit non-newhally but maybe not, just a guess.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. deb miller

deb miller New Member

Thank you blooey. Any thoughts as to the mark on the base which maybe is an "N" with a dot? IMG_0129.jpg

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's in puce, not red like the shape/pattern number, so probably a decorator's mark?

Those little sprigs off to one side of the Chinese rockwork is you best clue for id - fairly distinctive.

Houseful likes this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Masons ironstone do a similar rock but I don’t think it is Masons.
    E2F65067-27E7-4D52-B75C-EA03A0E05A90.jpeg

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think that's English. The base and colours look off. 233 is typically a shape number and the other a decorator's number, anyhow.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think they (all the British potters) did a version of the rockwork - in the "Gaudy Welsh" stuff it gets pretty abstract.

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see what you're saying ...it does look a bit "hard-pastey" and that blue looks overglaze ..still, the marking convention is sort of English and New hall did do a sort of hybrid hard paste for a bit ...
    The foot looks more Staffs-ish than one of the big factories, etc, etc, although again, I have had some Dillwyn pieces that have crude looking footrims, so I guess it's just a hard call as to what the piece is without actually handling it, even though the OP's pics are very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted