Help identifying necklace clasp marks

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bejud, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Bejud

Bejud New Member

Hello, I have two old necklaces, one that says sterling with a mark to the right of the word. The other necklace clasp has a mark as well. I am wondering if anyone can identify the maker marks (if that's what they are) on these two items. This is my first time on this forum and I thank you for any comments about these, age, etc.
    IMG_4478.JPG IMG_4468.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hello and welcome, Bejud. I don't know the answer but... I wonder whether you can post photos of both necklaces?

And also, when you do post photos please click the button that says "Full Image" after you upload a photo.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bejud

Bejud New Member

Thank you for responding. I will take pictures in the morning daylight and post them. Both necklaces have one strand with their strings torn apart, and I am trying to determine if I should invest in having them restrung. If I can verify they are antique pieces it would be nice to restore them.

KSW and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Please do as Fig requested.

KSW likes this.
  5. Bejud

Bejud New Member

IMG_4497.JPG IMG_4497.JPG IMG_4585.JPG IMG_4497.JPG IMG_4585.JPG IMG_4598.jpg

6. Bejud

Bejud New Member

I must have been double clicking and inserted double pictures. I am sorry.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You can go back and remove them.

KSW likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look like Japanese costume. Images of any marks on the backs of the clasps would be a big help. Most costume pearls aren't worth a lot, and these weren't knotted. You can definitely have them redone if you want to, but don't do it because they're worth money.

KSW and judy like this.
  9. Bejud

Bejud New Member

Thank you. The first thread with the two thumbnail pictures can be clicked on to see the only marks on the two items.

KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

Found it. I'd probably restring them if I wanted to wear them. You'd have to anyway; some of the findings are brass and they've turned green. The strings are stretched too. Wear them as is and you could end up with beads all over the floor.

KSW and Bejud like this.
  11. Bejud

Bejud New Member

Very good! These items along with loose beads and three other strings minus their clasps were in a plastic ziplock baggie, 5 necklaces for $8.00. I like vintage style jewelry and I agree a restringing investment in order to wear them still makes the overall purchase a reasonable deal. I like knowing the approximate date of antiquing items I have purchased, a fun part my occasional weekend hobby. I continue to hope someone recognizes the marks and can help date them. I appreciate all the time active members give to occasional antique shoppers like me.:rolleyes:

KSW likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I miss Mrs. Ng. She was a very older Chinese lady who used to restring bead necklaces for something to do. She restrung a very old valuable pearl necklace for me cost (3 dollars for material) and several cheap fake pearls ones no cost. She would take a necklace with NO knots and turn it into a knotted strand. her eyesight was very bad but her fingers were incredible.
    greg

KSW, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. evelyb30

I hand knot some things, if I'm using waxed cording. A lot of beaders still know how, or learn. If I got the beads that cheaply I'd be a happy camper too. Since these never were knotted I'd probably do them on tigertail instead of string. It's tougher and you don't need a needle.

KSW likes this.
  14. evelyb30

DSCF3918.JPG
    The ones on the far left are a restring - stone beads of uncertain age and found without a clasp. The other two are 1) a re-creation of a vintage busted necklace with some other beads added and 2) a complete fabrication of crystals, cloisonne and rose quartz. All of the beads on that are vintage. The blue ones are knotted; the others are on tigertail.

KSW, Figtree3, Bejud and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bejud

Bejud New Member

Awww! What a nice anecdote!
    Beautiful refurbishing of old beads. My favorite are the stunning blue stones and the crystals. My hands are too gnarly to do detail work, but I have a friend I will visit in May that owns a bead shop and does impeccable work, so I think I will wait until I see her for assistance.

16. evelyb30

Good idea. Beads like to go flying, even if you handle them all the time.

17. Colleen Myers

Colleen Myers New Member

Hello all found these at an estate sale not sure if they’re real or not but they are beautiful one is a two strand pearl necklace with 14 KTS on clasp

KSW likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi @Colleen Myers , welcome to the forum :)
    Can you start a new thread for your pearls please?
    Post some photos so we can see the necklace and clasp. Any problems with photos just ask!
    Go to the top of the jewelry forum and click New Thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted