Help identifying porcelain statue.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nick33390, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Nick33390

Nick33390 New Member

My great grandmother got this statue around 70 years ago (we are not exactly sure what year but believe it was in the 50's) from relatives who already had it for a few years and no longer wanted it. According to my uncle it is a Capodimonte, but I have not been able to find any markings on it to confirm that and he is not the most reliable source of information.

My grandmother inherited this 40 years ago and she passed away in 2018. I am just curious what we have here. It seems like a longshot, but if anybody recognizes this or has any information that would help identify it, that would be much appreciated. The statue is 38 inches tall and the pedestal is 12 inches tall. Images included. We are located in America (NYC).

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No markings at all? Looks 1970s to my eye. Let's see what others think.

Debora

Nick33390 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

thank you for your service !
    Sorry for your loss..!

we'll need to see the base , please.

much ado about Capodimonte here.....& what it really is.

Help will be along in short order.....but if not , check back in later....or tomorrow.
    :happy::happy:

Nick33390 likes this.
  4. Nick33390

Nick33390 New Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I could not find any identifying marks on the base (or anywhere else for that matter). But I can upload a picture of the base shortly. Thank you!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

the pottery folks here may see something you don't..;)
    or at least......how it was made !!!:happy:

Nick33390 likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Do you know if it is ceramic or plaster?
    She does have a 1960s - 70s vibe

Figtree3 and Nick33390 like this.
  7. Nick33390

Nick33390 New Member

Just had my brother text me these. The statue base is somewhat hollowed out and the pedestal base is just felt.

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

that felt just screams 70's....
    but it could have just been added then....

judy likes this.
  10. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Poured in mold? Could be chalkware but likely plaster.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  11. Nick33390

Nick33390 New Member

I am not even sure if the pedestal came with the statue, but I know the statue is at least 65 years old because the latest possible date that my great grandmother received it is 1959 and it was not new when she got it.

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

it may be just as you say, but things like this were not made in only one year, and it may be older than you suspect.

Family history does have a way of becoming legend , and without markings it's harder to pin an item down...

just saying........

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not sure that the pedestal came with the figure -- how tall is it? Lots of stuff is called Capodimonte but it really true Capodimonte. However, it could be an Italian creation, and it could be from the 50s or 60s from the style. Continental manufacture rather than Japanese, I think. It looks to be a molded piece which has been painted after firing (cold painted). Worth sentimental value I'm sure, but not a piece that you can retire on. ;)

komokwa likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted