Featured Help identifying possible Eastlake armchair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

IMG_3173.JPG Hello, everyone. We received this chair through family members, already upholstered like this. My best (uneducated) guess is that it is an Eastlake style armchair, made of walnut, based on the light carvings. But, the chair also has a few design elements that I have not seen on other Eastlake armchairs. First, the top has a scroll, and the wood itself is not across the top of the chair. That is, the wood does not "frame" the upholstered back, as I have seen on many Eastlake chairs. Second, the spools (if that's what you call them) on the arms are unusual. I have typically seen an arm that is open altogether, or a "closed" arm on an Eastlake armchair.

I do not know if it is English or American, or if it originally had casters. It is on my hardwood floor so I put the adhesive felt bottoms on it. One of my family members bought it at an antique store decades ago, and had it reupholstered fairly recently.

I'm not crazy about the upholstery, but it is done well and in excellent condition, and it does make the wood color stand out. The chair is also very comfortable and sturdy (which I can't say of all of my other antique chairs), and it is larger (about 39" high) than many of my other antique chairs. Also, I keep the chair in a sitting area in a bedroom, and not in the living room, so no one other than family sees it.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I don't care WHAT period it is..............I'll send YOU my address, you send ME the chair - your question is no longer relevant and you have no problem!

On the other hand, Brad or someone with more comprehensive knowledge than mine will be along soon.........I would term it late Eastlake, but I am not familiar with the subtleties of this period...........

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The upholstery doesn't bother me a bit, and it's in beautiful condition!!!! LOVE it!!!!!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i could sit on that all day !

judy likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

ps I like it's neighbor as well - can I come and live at YOUR house?

BTW - posting ANYTHING on a thread brings it back to the top of the queue where people are more apt to notice it, so my drivel DOES serve a purpose.............

That's my excuse, and I am sticking to it...................

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would call it Eastlake per se. I'm not good at labeling the furniture periods.
    Time period I would guess to be 1880s to early 1900s.

Even though the upholstery is not anything like what would have been on it originally, I don't find it to be displeasing. I rather like it. It would blend in easily with other colors. Whoever did it, did a very nice job.
    I really like the way they lined up the flowers. Looks like even the arms are matched.

7. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Whether it is or isn't, it's what people usually think of as Eastlake; however, the top is...not what one usually sees.

And, like cluttered, I have no serious objection to the (well-done) upholstery. Having both chairs in the same room works too. I happen to very much like pattern on pattern. Any chance you could share a picture of the other one too?

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

While this has elements of Eastlake, I wouldn't necessarily call it an Eastlake chair. It really doesn't fit into one particular style and might best be termed as Victorian era since produced circa 1890. Does look like walnut or could be a more non-descript wood stained to mimic walnut. Could be either American or English. I don't see anything distinctive enough to pin it to either country.

Figtree3 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thank you, all. I agree, I couldn't quite place my finger on the style. It is less ornate than what is often seen in Victorian-era furniture, and the light carvings and stain color suggest Eastlake, but it doesn't quite "fit" the style. It is definitely comfortable.

Also, what does one call the spindles on the arm? Spindles? (Perhaps a silly question, but I just don't know.)

I appreciate the feedback on the upholstery as well. It is kind of a country French (or English). I have an old Spanish house, with a dark beamed ceiling, so my living room furniture runs darker, such as burgundy and brown fabrics, deep red leather with nailheads, etc. I have an old Victorian cast iron pub table in there with the original white paint, so that lightens it up a little.

I do intend to post photos of its neighbor when I get some quality photos. Even though I took photos with my cell phone, the photos were at too high a resolution to post.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted