Help identifying pottery dish set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Amanda Wamb, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

potterydishes.jpg
    Hello, I recently inherited this pottery dish set and am wondering if it has any value to sell. Can anyone tell me what era it's from, what style it is and what I might be able to ask for it?

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

No maker's marks on the bottoms?
    It's got that 60s-70s earthy, studio pottery look.

Amanda Wamb and Bakersgma like this.
  3. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Looks like studio pottery stoneware.

Very difficult to identify unless there are makers marks to base or sides, and even then often not easy!

Nice, but probably of low value unless potter is particularly well collected

Amanda Wamb and lauragarnet like this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

@Amanda Wamb - Hoping for some close-ups and pictures of the bottoms.

Besides small production studio potteries, there were lots of companies that made the "dipped" glaze patterns, with the studio look.

Amanda Wamb likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, studio pottery. I have a set made by Mikasa with a very similar look I bought new in 1980. McCoy also had a similar line. I am sure that studio potters were doing it well before Mikasa and McCoy picked it up.

lauragarnet and Amanda Wamb like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Whatever it is - you should do well with it.
    There a lot of people starting to pick up this style. Even though it is probably from the 1970s, it has a more modern look to it.

If you don't mind breaking the set, you will gain more $ by selling piece by piece, or selling bowls as one group, mugs as a group, plates as a group, serving pieces separately.
    Adding the groups will net more than what someone will be willing to pay for the set. Then if someone wants it all you can take 10-20% off and they will be happy.

lauragarnet and Amanda Wamb like this.
  7. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

I will take some pictures of the bottoms. : )

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

Oh wow, I didn't think anyone would be interested in buying individually.

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

As long as you know the maker & and/or the pattern name that is the easiest way to sell dishes. Packing up a whole set is a royal PITA for sure & depending on the material it is made from can involve 2 or more boxes not to mention copious amounts of packing supplies.

I sell 99% of the dishes I sell this way because if it is a desirable pattern everyone is always looking for replacement pieces to replace chipped or broken pieces.

Peggy

10. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

Here is the bottom of the dish set. backofdish2.jpg backofdish.jpg

11. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

The serving dish must not be apart of the same set because it had a different marking on the bottom. Untitled drawing.jpg

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The square baker and salad bowl do go fairly well with the dishes, but definitely by someone else. Was your family already living in the Seattle area in the 80's? Could be local studio potters - both this set and the other you have posted.

13. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

Yes we were living in Seattle area in the 80's.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Wow. Gotta be late 70s/early80s as I recognize that type of pattern. This looks like studio pottery as others have said, but similar stuff was factory made. Dunno how well that stuff sells, but studio pottery was "big" in those days. I got lots for wedding presents. :shame:

Amanda Wamb likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted