Help identifying Satsuma vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ZanGoBlue, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ZanGoBlue

ZanGoBlue New Member

I picked up this pair of vases today as I loved the colors and design. I think they are Satsuma but I can't find any information on the mark that is on the bottom. Does this look familiar to anyone? Any idea of age and if they are real Satsuma? Thank you! IMG_2187 copy.jpg IMG_2188 copy.jpg

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  3. ZanGoBlue

ZanGoBlue New Member

Thank you Kiko, I've been through all those marks and can't find anything close...

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, ZanGoBlue. The format and content of the dark "cartouche" mark is characteristic of Satsuma wares. The circle with the + inside is the Shimazu family crest. While you may not have been able to find an exact match for all the other characters, certainly you noticed how many of the Satsuma marks documented in the site contained that symbol. No?

Your picture of 2 vases is too small to see details. Can you attach a larger one?

5. ZanGoBlue

ZanGoBlue New Member

Hi Bakersgma, thank you! I did note that the + inside a circle was indicative of a Satsuma mark, but I couldn't identify any of the other kenji (?) marks. So I'm not sure of age, and I didn't see any others in this same dark blue color - which made me worry it was not authentic... I'll get a closer photo... Each one looks to have ladies on one side and men on the other. IMG_2190 copy.jpg IMG_2189 copy.jpg

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Satsuma, but quality is ~medium - so later productions toward the end of this style, maybe 1920's?

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Perhaps @Mat can provide some info on the meaning of the marks below.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, I can only partly read the mark, the right column under the Satsuma mon reads just "Satsuma". On the left is the name of the maker, which I cannot read, and the last character is "zo", "made".

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted