Featured Help identifying sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ONeal, May 26, 2019.

1. ONeal

ONeal New Member

Hello, I am looking for any information on this sideboard mainly to replace the door hardware. The back of the doors appear to have a square cutout which I suspect were locks. I think the pulls on the drawers in the middle are correct but not on the doors. Any ideas or direction is greatly appreciated. IMG_4552.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome ONeal.
    The furniture people will need more photos.

3. ONeal

ONeal New Member

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would say it is English. Sort of a take on gothic revival. Maybe circa 1930. Those here from the UK would be better at dating this than I am. Finding the exact hardware will be nearly impossible. Your best bet would be ebay…. both the US and UK sites.

ONeal, judy, Jeff Drum and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect it's before WW1 and I agree it's one of ours. Can you do close ups on the drawer and door handles please? I think the door ones may be ok. Oh, and hinges and insides please, so I can see if my date thoughts are right.

Fid, ONeal and judy like this.
  6. ONeal

ONeal New Member

Thank you for the quick replies! I have take a pic of the inside of the door and a side view of the same door. I suspect they once were locks and the keys were lost so they replaced with handles. I am headed out for a few hours but upon my return I will take pics of the hinges and inside as requested. Thank you very much for your help. IMG_4556.JPG IMG_4557.JPG

7. ONeal

ONeal New Member

Shot of hinge and inside of cabinet. IMG_4558.JPG IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG

8. ONeal

ONeal New Member

drawers, drawer pull, drawer cavity

IMG_4562.JPG IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4564.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

I'd agree on the locks being missing. I think it had no handles, but used the key to open. I also think early 20th or even late 19th.

verybrad and ONeal like this.
  10. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

to my eyes on the outside you have william and mary teardrop pulls and what look to be art deco in the middle.

you could use something like these maybe
    [​IMG]

Fid and ONeal like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This may very well be true. If so, it looks like the original escutcheons may be present still. It looks like the non-original pulls may be threaded through the keyhole. If so, no additional hardware is needed for the outside. Get some locks with keys to fit and call it a day.

12. Ownedbybear

Agreed. I've an early 19th rosewood cupboard with no door catches, just the key to use as a "pull".

Drawer handles are aesthetic rather than Art Deco.

13. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

i took them for a more proper set of these

[​IMG]

i would love to see some aesthetic examples. i love knobs and pulls. i started in the business as my familys knob and pull boy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted