Help identifying stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Amanda Wamb, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

smalltabletop.jpg smalltableside.jpg smalltablefront.jpg smalltable.jpg

Hello, I recently inherited this stand and am wanting to sell it and I don't know what era it's from, what style it is, what it is used for and what I might be able to ask for it. All of the pieces so far seem to be oak. The back piece has become detached but my sister may be able to put back together. It's 16" x 16" and 24 1/2" tall.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'm not liking that plywood shelf that looks like it is de-laminating. You might want to replace that before selling.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

I was wondering about that.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Call it an end table or occasional table. Even a lamp table.

"The back piece"? How many of those diamond-pierced panels are there?

Amanda Wamb and lauragarnet like this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Actually for a cheap fix that might still look good just turn that shelf around and turn upside down and cover it with a fabric that will go with the finish of the Oak wood that the table is made of. Assuming you can easily remove the shelf.

Amanda Wamb likes this.
  6. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

Reminds me of mission style.

Amanda Wamb and bobsyouruncle like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a mission oak stand or occasional table. Circa 1910. It has nice styling but the plywood shelf detracts. Can't really see what is going on there. Is it a replacement or is it the original and the veneer is just coming up? If the latter, it is not such a big deal. This type of thing actually sells pretty well on ebay since it is small enough to ship. Value is going to be dependent on what is going on with that shelf. If easily fixed, I think we are in the $50-$100.00 range in the right market. Don't confuse the value of yours with any of the sought-after named pieces such as Stickley, Limbert, etc.

Amanda Wamb likes this.
  8. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

The 2nd from the top picture is a picture of the side so you can see how the back piece (piece on the right of the picture) is coming off. I will have to check to see how many panels of the diamond pattern there is.

9. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

I don't know if that shelf is the original shelf or not.

10. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

I inspected the stand again and the shelf does seem to be apart of the original structure. The sides of the table are built into it. Also there are 3 sets of diamond pierced panels.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What you have is a Mission Oak telephone stand.
    Unfortunately it is not in good shape.

#1 shows where the plywood is attached under the table in an effort to stabilize it.
    #2 shows where the joins are coming apart.
    upload_2016-9-2_0-23-47.png

I think that one of the panels with diamonds is missing.

I think this is what it should look like. Please note the seller is in Los Angeles. Mission oak is very big down there.
    In the condition yours is in, I wouldn't ask more than $15-25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oak-Arts-Cr...771824?hash=item1a19217170:g:4xcAAOSwYHxWHWs9

Attached Files:

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am coming to the conclusion that the pictures and information from the OP are not sufficient to really evaluate this piece. As indicated in my previous post, if complete and fixed up, I see this in the $50-100.00 range. If there is a panel missing and the shelf is not original, the value would be very minimal. If there is a panel missing, there would be no point in having a shelf and I would think it is a plant stand. If it is supposed to have a shelf and an opening there, a telephone stand makes sense.

13. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

Very interesting!

14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Advertise as "One NightStand" and you will probably get a lot of interest.

Aquitaine and Amanda Wamb like this.
  15. Mikej

Mikej New Member

I believe that was a telephone stand made circa 1910 by a company called Come-Packt. It is not an uncommon piece, and is very similar to other stands in their catalogs. It was almost certainly cut down at some point. The plywood shelf is not original, and it clearly needs some love. This piece would have originally been shipped in a flat crate and assembled and usually stained and finished by the new owner. Because of this, the quality of finish and glue joints varies significantly on these. As is, i would be happy to find it in a sale for $20-35. Restored, i would be able to sell it been $100-200. If it was all original, $350-450 would not be an outrageous estimate in a good antique store or show that specialized in mission style furniture.

cxgirl and Amanda Wamb like this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Amanda Wamb likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

cxgirl and Amanda Wamb like this.
  18. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

19. Amanda Wamb

Amanda Wamb Member

Thanks for the info!