Help identifying stoneware 4" bowl/cup delft 17th century

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Antiques-R-Us, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Antiques-R-Us

Antiques-R-Us New Member

Hello, need help identifying this early stoneware 4" bowl/cup. It is unmarked on bottom.
    It has imperfections when comparing the two identical scenes on either side, so it is hand painted. Highly detailed church and intricate design around the inside lip of the vessel.
    With images of church and castles, I think this is from early London potters but not sure. You can see the brown earthenware clay under the salt glaze where the chips are located. It has very deep crazing, indicating that it is very old. It has a castle scene in bottom of inside of vessel, I am not sure if this is a makers mark. It is 3 1/2" Tall and 4" in diameter. My other question is what is this? In other words, is it a bowl, cup, mug, mixing vessel (barber), pharmaceutical, special made as in presentation gift or for royalty or is it just a common vessel for the time? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi, your piece is a type of earthenware that is transfer printed most likely in Staffordshire in the first half of the 19th C.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Transfer ware 19thc English.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Maybe a slop bowl that has has a really rough life, buried, used in the oven etc, not salt glaze either sorry.

6. say_it_slowly

7. say_it_slowly

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Early Victorian. Just from the clothing one can easily see that it's not from the 1600s.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Antiques-R-Us

Antiques-R-Us New Member

Thanks everyone, unmarked pottery is my nemesis.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tea bowl, anyhow. And yes, 1840s ish, Staffordshire transferware.

Draft saved Draft deleted