Help identifying tablecloth

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by mls4dc, Jun 24, 2021.

1. mls4dc

mls4dc Member

tablecloth1.jpeg napkins1.jpeg tablecloth2.jpeg tablecloth3.jpeg

Hello! Can anyone help me identify this tablecloth as Madeira or Chinese made? The seller said it was made in Madeira but now I have my doubts and as an absolute beginner and don't know how to identify the differences. For reference, the size is 2.74 x 1.28 meters (108 x 50 inches) and it is completely new. No stains, tears, discoloring and has never been used. It was purchased in France at a flea market and the seller said that it was a wedding gift. Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

never used....so not a welcomed wedding gift..! :hilarious:

remember....sellers....at a French flea market....will embellish..!:singing::singing::singing::singing::inpain:

can u edit your pics and click on FULL IMAGE......?

3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Mis4dc,
    At a glance I'd say it has the look of Chinese. Very typically a 70's import all over Europe and the US. Very pretty; but unlikely that it was produced IN Madeira.

In my opinion; Madeira has a double meaning.
    It can mean that it is produced IN the Madeira style... by either hand work or machine.
    OR: It can mean that it IS Madeira...produced by hand, IN Madeira Spain and surrounds. I am unaware of any machine made Madeira being produced in Madeira; although it is possible.

I believe you have the first definition: it looks like machine made Chinese Madeira work to me.

Leslie

4. mls4dc

mls4dc Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! I still like the tablecloth so I'm not bothered but what should I look for in the future to tell if something is made in Madeira?

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I vote Chinese import.
    The work just doesn't appear fine enough for true Madiera.
    Nevertheless, it's quite pretty!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just a clarification... The island of Madeira is a part of Portugal, not Spain. True Madeira items are exquisite and made by hand. Here's the web site of a "factory" that produces table linens among other things.

https://www.bordal.pt/en/table-wear

Debora

7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Thank you Debora for your clarification! :)
    Leslie

Darkwing Manor and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted