Help identifying the artists name on two paintings Turkish scenes

Discussion in 'Art' started by avant, Dec 9, 2018.

1. avant

avant Member

I would really appreciate help with finding out who is the artist of these two watercolor paintings featuring Turkish scenes. Spent several hours searching databases and catalogues of Turkish artists and found nothing resembling this signature - not that it necessarily has to be a Turkish artist, but I acquired these two together with a watercolor painting by Vahit Armagan and thought it could also be a Turkish artist. But who knows!

Would be very grateful for any tips.

IMG_7598 copy.jpg

IMG_7603 copy.jpg IMG_7607 copy.jpg IMG_7611 copy.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are lovely, avant. Very evocative of Turkey.
    First name possibly Ahan or Ohan (Armenian)? Last name ends in ky or ry?

avant and judy like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

First name could be Alman... but the only plausible name I see for the surname is Czech and that doesn't seem right. :wideyed:

avant likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It could be a Czech who painted in Turkey, why not.:)

avant and Jivvy like this.
  5. avant

avant Member

Any Jewelry and Jivvy - thanks very much guys! At some point my eyes started to tear up from looking at this signature so hard :) I think the ending of their last name sounds East European - this is why I also thought that the artist does not have to be Turkish :) Will do a new search incorporating your suggestions and will keep you posted!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. avant

avant Member

Jivvy, do you mind writing which Czech name you see there? I want to try everything!

7. Jivvy

I only see it in the first example, not the second... and then there's a problem because if it is Czech, it's missing some accents: Tošovský

avant likes this.
  8. avant

avant Member

Thank you! The search continues

9. Any Jewelry

There are many Austrians with Czech names (and ancestry), they wouldn't necessarily use the accents.

avant and Jivvy like this.
  10. Jivvy

Good to know!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted