Help identifying these brass faux "book" military cases

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by TSC, Aug 28, 2021.

1. TSC

TSC New Member

cases.jpg emblem.jpg Good afternoon everyone. I have 3 faux "book" items, made of what appears to be brass and I'm trying to identify what they are and when they are from.

One of them opens to reveal what appears to be a lighter. There are no markings on it.

The other two cases are bigger, have the same "book" design, and they have military emblems on their tops.

The first case's emblem reads: "Equipages De La Flotte" and has a picture of an anchor. I believe the wording translates to "Fleet Crew"

The second case's emblem reads: "Honi soit Qui Mal Y Pense" and "Dieu et mon droit". The emblem is quite detailed. I believe these are British Navy mottos and emblem design?

Both of these cases open, but there are no other markings and I have absolutely no idea what they use would be?

If anyone has any clue as to what these are and what time period they are from I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2021
    cxgirl likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if one's a lighter...could the others be cigarette holder....
    oh...and how many inches is ''''bigger..?

3. TSC

TSC New Member

Thanks, that could be what they are I suppose.

The smaller "lighter" is approx 1.6" x 2.2". One of the bigger cases is approx 3.3" x 4.1", and the other is approx 3.4" x 4.3"

4. komokwa

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Very interesting!

I agree. Lighter, and cigarette cases, or possibly a cigarette, and card case.

6. TSC

TSC New Member

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any thoughts to what time frame these might be from, and why they came to exist? I've seen the term "trench art" to refer to WW1/WW2 era item made from war materials, but these don't seem to be quite fit that mold to me. And are they British or French? Thanks for any further info & help.

- tim

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  7. komokwa

if there are no marks what so ever....the crests were not hand made.............so they may give an idea of the year..

8. FIJI

FIJI New Member

"Evil to him who evil thinks"

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought it was "shame on anyone... etc".

10. FIJI

FIJI New Member

Prov. May bad things happen to anyone who thinks evil things. (A curse against those who wish you harm. This is the English version of the French Honi soit qui malypense, the motto of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, a British order of knighthood.)

Draft saved Draft deleted