Featured Help identifying this strange item...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by EC33, Mar 2, 2017.

1. EC33

EC33 New Member

Hi - Does anyone have any idea what this could be please?
    I'm not sure if it is in fact Jewelry (in some ways it looks like it may have been functional... but then, it is also rather ornate). Front looks like amber-colored glass with engraved flower (tulip, rose, thistle??)... Back looks like blue ceramic with white markings...
    Just dug it up in New Zealand at a site with links to British settlers from ca. 1850 onwards... No idea what it is. Many thanks.
    item1.jpg item2.jpg

Aquitaine, KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Does that back say MINT... ? I suspect Minton. Some sort of little finial or knop. Not a tuilp, let me wake my botany brain cell up.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and judy like this.
  3. Brooklinite

Brooklinite New Member

Maybe a Thistle I think.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Not with those leaves.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pomegranate blossom?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The centre looks like enamel on copper to me, the distinctive blue colour is typical on contra enamelling that has to be used on any enamel on thin metal to prevent cracking.
    Posting a detail picture with the same size but all the hand cropped out would help.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Xavier Myers

Xavier Myers Member

It looks more like it says "wint" if you zoom in. And it looks to have the number 43 above it.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There is a Facebook page called London Mudlarks. They walk the foreshore and pick up stuff from Roman times to modern times. Find their page and ask them. They do take images from other people's finds and they are really good at identifying stuff like this.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. EC33

EC33 New Member

Hi All - Thanks a lot for your initial thoughts. Several days of googling have turned up nothing... (but I have yet to contact the mudlarks...)

I do have a couple of up-dates on the item for anyone who's interested:
    Please see the new photo: Item is cleaned up a little, but it is very hard to get a clear picture of the tiny details.
    The blue piece dislodged from the back during (gentle) cleaning, and the missing broken shards were found inside the central chamber... This turns out to be blue glass and not enamel (I think). The inscription on it is very hard to make out, and even looks like it could be a mirror image... (see the second picture, which is a drawing of what I think could possibly be on the blue glass...) - there is almost certainly a square and compass straddling two lines of characters... It could say 43 MINT or 43 WYHT or it could be _EEP __THYN in reverse - I just can't tell.
    The object is probably copper and glass... it is not magnetic.
    Each of the six little 'arms' has a hole going right through into the central chamber... These look threaded at first glance, but I am now not convinced they are threaded.
    Still very much stumped!
    Any ideas?? Picture3.jpg Picture2.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That looks like a Masonic compass and Square.
    Maybe a masonic jewel.
    Search the names of your local lodges and see if the words match up.
    I`ve cropped the photo and reveresed the image so it can be read.

Picture3.jpg

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree, Dave. It certainly looks like the Freemasonary's Square & Compass(es) symbol though the square isn't in quite the right position of the usual symbol. It doesn't have the "G" in the middle either. Nowww some masonic jurisdictions omit the "G." On zooming in and focusing, the lettering looks like:

--EP
    ---TAIN or ---THIN

The letters on the left are too damaged to read. The 2nd word I guess could be captain??? It may be a specific lodge name, a specific office, a degree of that lodge, or a location? Am including an edited version that isn't much different or better than Dave's.

IMG_2939.JPG

KingofThings and daveydempsey like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Aha. In which case, that's a forget me not bud. Fascinating.

13. daveydempsey

This one brightened up and cropped.

Picture3.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a thistle perhaps a Scottish rite?
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Now that is interesting if this is really Masonic related and that is a forget-me-not. Forget-me-nots and Masonery has quite a German history. After the Nazis came to power in Germany, Masonic stuff were frown on by the Nazis. Involved in Masonic activities could get you jailed and possibly sent to a concentration camp. The use of Masonic emblems was stopped. The forget-me-not flower (not the bud) became a symbol between Masons.

Nowwww forget-me-nots (the flower not as a bud) had been a symbol in Germany since the 1920s as a "symbol used by most charitable organizations in Germany, with a very clear meaning: 'Do not forget the poor and the destitute'."

http://www.masonicnetwork.org/blog/2009/the-story-behind-forget-me-not-emblem/

https://sites.google.com/site/lodge...general/the-forget-me-not-and-masonic-slipper

As this is a bud rather than the full 5 petal blue flower I doubt it has a German connection, but it is interesting that the Square and Compass is on blue, the same shade blue as that of the German Blue forget-me-nots.

--- Susan

KingofThings and daveydempsey like this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the compass is not masonic?
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday two inhabitants of the parish of St. Mary Abchurch, made application to Mr. Alderman Wooldridge, at Guildhall for a warrant against the keeper of an infamous house, agreeable to the particular directions of the act of parliament; a warrant was granted, and Mr. Payne the constable immediately went to execute it; he presently came with the prisoner, a woman so big with child that she was on the eve of delivery; with her a pretty young woman, who, it afterwards turned out, was a nymph of the house.

Being closely interrogated by the alderman about her situation, she burst into a flood of tears, and a scene ensued that was extremely affecting: she said that she had lived in many reputable families, which she named, till being debauched by an attorney’s clerk, by whom she was with child, she was compelled to leave service and go to her father; but her mother-in-law [i.e., stepmother] turning her out of doors, she had no other resource to fly to than seeking that dissolute way of life which she now followed: every person present felt for the unfortunate girl, though nobody so much as herself, for her story was accompanied with the most evident emotions of contrition.

The alderman, in very severe terms, reprehended the keeper of the brothel, for to such characters, he justly observed, girls in general owed their ruin; but as the prisoner’s situation made her a very unfit object for a jail, she was permitted to return home, on a promise to discontinue the practice for which she was apprehended.

The young woman was sent by a constable to her father, who is a man of reputation; and we trust he will exercise tenderness, and not severity to a girl who appears to be more unfortunate than abandoned.

http://nationalheritagemuseum.typep...-within-compass-or-a-tempest-on-a-teapot.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  18. daveydempsey

"Keep Within" makes sense.

catdeco and KingofThings like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Thanks davey. Not a forget me not, the leaves are wrong. Closest is some kind of wild rose, maybe rugosa.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. EC33

EC33 New Member

Hi again,
    Thank you all! This is a major breakthrough. I had a feeling that this may in fact not be masonic (although that is a fascinating scenario)... I also think the flower does not look much like a forget-me-not...
    But "KEEP WITHIN" as in "keep within compass" certainly seems to fit. The fact that this is engraved as a mirror image could suggest this is a kind of seal (e.g. for wax...)?? Although the letters are so very small...
    I still find the overall shape and composition of the item quite puzzling, and wonder what kind of flower it is... I think this item most likely came from England or Scotland...
    I'll keep digging around and googling, but thanks so much for all your ideas and advice!

Draft saved Draft deleted