Help Identifying Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alesia42, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

This is one of many Thrift purchases...I bought it because it was really different looking...I initially saw it while considering whether or not to purchase a vintage brass/glass top coffee table priced at $45...it would have been a nice keeper or a good flip.....anyway...I missed out....when I went back today..the table was gone...and this vase was still there......I'm still feeling a little blue about the table...so I'm going to post a pic below)...getting back...the vase is 8 in ht x 5 in width at widest point...the color is a matte charcoal....the vase maybe more recent than aged ...I can make out Mt. Sheta written on the front....but the rest seems to be in another language??....maybe this is a foreign souvenir?.......from Ireland? or Ugoslavia?....(I'm guessing)........information on this will be much appreciated rsz_1early_19th_century_pottery_or_modern_suvoneir_001.jpg rsz_early_19th_century_pottery_or_modern_suvoneir_002.jpg rsz_early_19th_century_pottery_or_modern_suvoneir_003.jpg rsz_early_19th_century_pottery_or_modern_suvoneir_006.jpg rsz_1early_19th_century_pottery_or_modern_suvoneir_007.jpg rsz_vintage_dc_comicbook_posters_005.jpg rsz_vintage_dc_comicbook_posters_004.jpg

dude and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

It was really a great table....at a great price.....I was trying not to be impulsive....(of which I can be when I see something great for a low price, its really a internal struggle to leave it)....then thinking about the fact that many Thrift stores no longer have employees help load furniture into vehicles...so I was thinking who am I going to get to help me load and unload?....so I missed out

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    judy and dude like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

4. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I have no idea. I was just doing some research. Try googling the name or see if you can find the Russian character equivalent and try that.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That script is Georgian, I think.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's certainly different. I'd have walked right past the table; brass brings back bad decorating memories of living rooms past although to a Gen Z or Millenial it would just be a nice vintage piece.

8. KikoBlueEyes

You always amaze.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It doesn't say Mt. Sheta... it is meant to be a transliteration of the letters that go down the right side, мцхета. The transliteration into the English alphabet would be Mtskheta, which is a city in the country of Georgia. The city is considered historically significant.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mtskheta

KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

The reason I knew it was Georgian is because my delightful slightly eccentric cousin sings in a Georgian choir in London. She's been to Georgia many times. She'd have been one of those mad female Victorian travellers on a mule.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I think I would love to know her.

12. Ownedbybear

She's huge fun.

My whole family are slightly deranged, in a good way.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I can tell. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Are you sure we're not cousins? Slightly mad sounds pretty normal to me!

Ownedbybear and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted