Help identifying who is this military man , and his signature

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ABDELBARI, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Help identifying who is this military man , and if the signature is his real signature . 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Looks British to me...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`ve turned your pic upright and cropped it for you.

1.jpg

5. kristiaan

Looks even more British, now! ;-)

6. daveydempsey

The #1 on the reverse look like a European #1 not a British #1, however that could have been written by the photographer who might have been Egyptian like Abdelbari.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. daveydempsey

The date looks like 17-11-1914 with a European crosslet on the 7.
    Could be an Austrian from the Ottoman Empire

4.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. daveydempsey

I agree but it could be Alexandria, the place in Egypt.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with Davey, European writing. And Alexander, which is not his signature. Could be his first name or his last name.
    I don't recognize the uniform, but it is very nice. Maybe a fancy uniform for an aristocratic officer? That was done in some armies in those days.

10. kristiaan

No uniform would be different from a other (in the same army and branch) because the owner is of aristocratic descendants.

11. Any Jewelry

It still happens. I live in the same street as the company that manufactures uniforms for our former prince, now king, Willem Alexander. Every time he comes here for a new uniform, the street knows about it. It is not just tailoring, it has been a different design from standard uniforms since before he became king.
    When he was prince he was still an officer, but even then he wore a custom made uniform, slightly different from other officers of his rank. Now that he is king he is no longer an officer. He occasionally wears a so-called 'unmilitary uniform', with the insignia below instead of the military ones:
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. kristiaan

Have it your way!

13. Any Jewelry

It is not my way, it is his way.;)

14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’ve darkened pic somewhat and asked for info on a more specialized forum. Asking on very specialized forums is saving me lots of time these days.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm not sure if it's 1914 or 1944....that first '4' is questionable to me.....but the line I'm seeing could also be part of the '9'..........

z4a.jpg

16. Aquitaine

Very neat image, BTW!!!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

FWIW, the card mount is much more typical of 1914 than it is of 1944. I don't think I've ever seen a 1940s photo mounted on that type of card. So for that reason I'd vote for 1914. Although I do see what you mean!

18. Aquitaine

Thanks Fig.....that DOES make sense!!! Something you would know better than I would:)

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and kristiaan like this.
  19. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

20. kristiaan

According to the source I asked ;"The uniform is Greek and the portrayed is Prince Alexander ,Later between 1917 and 1920 ,King Alexander I of Greece"

Draft saved Draft deleted