Featured Help Identifying Wicker (or Rattan/Bamboo)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jonathan Christie, May 31, 2020.

1. Jonathan Christie

Jonathan Christie New Member

Between my fiance and I, I've come to notice that we either possess a keen, though very untrained eye, or an above average level of good luck.

She recentlypurchased several different pieces of wicker/rattan/bamboo furniture, from multiple sources. It has proven near impossible for either of us to identify or trace the provenance of any of the pieces. We know that they need some repair work, and overall love, but aren't sure if they are unique to any degree. Only identifying marks found (on 3 sitting pieces) on the underside of seat. And only a number (1 or 2 digits) written in black. Having been unable to find a similar design, we really don't know much about them.

Purchased in CentralFCentral from private sellers, the pieces are:

Four Panel Room Divider. Each Panel Measures 72" tall by 18" wide.
    20200531_011613-COLLAGE.jpg

Armchair. Measuring 35" tall (back) with seat at 15". 40" wide, with a seat width of 17" at largest point. 20" deep. 20200531_022323-COLLAGE.jpg

Loveseat. Measuring 50" wide, 35" tall and 22" deep, with seat at 15" above ground, 37" wide 20200531_023039-COLLAGE.jpg
    Rocking Chair. 38"tall. 22" wide at rockers, 29" wide to outsides of arm rests, seat is 15" above ground and 17" at widest point. Rockers are 35" long.
    20200531_023016-COLLAGE.jpg

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice....looks in good shape too.....

Shout out to ,
    @verybrad
    @Ghopper1924

remember it's the weekend and folks pop in at all hours.....so check back in often..

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Loving the chairs! Looks to be early 20th century. You're right; it will be very difficult to track down a maker. Just enjoy the fact that you've got some beautiful, useful pieces.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.:) My guess 1920s-30s.
    They are rattan, btw, probably made in Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think these are that old. 70s Asian imports to my eye. The old stuff was heavier. Also note the Phillips screws.

cxgirl, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. And in fab condition.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with imported.
    The screen may be the older of the pieces.
    Agree with later after the 70s. The chair and settee may be more recent.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  8. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

These a lovely pieces. I love the design on the chairs and love seat. No matter the age, enjoy them.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted