Help IDing a Hummel?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by darkingsrock, Jan 27, 2017.

1. darkingsrock

darkingsrock New Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to Antiquers.com so if I do anything wrong please let me know! I signed up because I have a specific question. I hope you guys can help me out! :) I'm so impressed by how active these forums are; you guys must really know your stuff.

I need more information about the image I attached. I can find several different Hummel knock-offs that are similar to this little guy (usually they come in pairs) but none of them match exactly.

Does anyone recognize this figurine? If not, does anyone have ideas about where I can find more information?

Thank you for your time!
    2017 Visual Trivia 23 (2).jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm afraid your attached picture doesn't have enough light to see him - and no color? Or is that not your own picture?

We always need pictures of the markings too and even a picture of the underside, marked or not.

3. darkingsrock

darkingsrock New Member

Thank you for your fast reply! Unfortunately this is the only photo I have, which is why it's been so challenging to figure it out. (It's actually for a sort-of game I'm involved in; it's supposed to be hard).

2017 Visual Trivia 23 (3).jpg
    Does this lighter version help at all?

I understand if it's too hard to identify him properly. Is there anything you can tell about him from just this photo? I know so little about Hummels, any guesses about origins or time period or really anything would be great.

Thanks so much!

cxgirl likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hard for me to tell - is he holding an umbrella in one hand? What is in his other hand?
    There was a figure like this and I think he had a pig in a basket on his back - I'll see if I can find it

5. darkingsrock

darkingsrock New Member

He has an umbrella under his left arm and, I think, a sprig of flowers in his right hand.

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Hummels are all well marked. If no mark it's a imitation.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

he could be an imitation, lots were made in Japan, hard to tell without seeing the base.
    Sorry, I went through the Hummel book and I couldn't find this one, several with the umbrella and what looks like a basket on his back but none with something in the other hand.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you might try searching under Arnart Erich Stauffer to see if you can find him

9. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Edited to correct..."Home from Market" this isn't it. The one that I found has his hand in his pocket.

cxgirl is correct, he is holding an umbrella, and he is carrying a pig in a basket on his back. Using Google Image on your second pic I found the Hummel. It is called "Home From Market" #198 It's impossible to tell time frame without seeing the mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hum...ved=0ahUKEwiq_fyi_ePRAhUr9IMKHYoEBHQQ_AUIBygC

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

so, what's the 'sort of game'???
    only thing I came up with was searching for Hummel lookalike. Found this very similar 'Hummel-Like' hiking pair. There are some minor detail differences but it may give someone an idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    maybe it's a Hummel knockoff, wannabe or imitation; here's old listing:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/281501190/vintage-large-handmade-hummel-like

Ladybranch likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Those fake Hummels look like the "The children of the Damned".
    greg

12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

they really don't look like Hummels to me but, yeah, those eyes!!!

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those eyes are so creepy

14. darkingsrock

darkingsrock New Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies!!

It's a big thing in a few weeks where we don't know what they'll ask about, we just know they'll ask a question about this photo.

I appreciate everybody's research so far, especially the tip about Erich Stauffer. This little guy looks like Stauffer's work, and that's the kind of thing I never would've known on my own.

What do you guys think, is he a real Hummel or more likely a knock-off? I understand that you can't tell for sure without the markings, I'm just wondering if you had to take your best guess.

Any tips as to where else I might look to get more info? Thanks again!

cxgirl likes this.
  15. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Real Hummel bases appear to be relatively flat, almost waffer like, the fake ones in tallcakes post appear to be slightly rounded. Combine that with the fact that the example that most closely resembles yours is a fake, I'd guess fake.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The one Tallcakes found is surprising similar. The only real differences are the eyes, the height the umbrella is being carried and coloring. The eyes of the OP's look closed while the trekker are open weirdly. The similarities are:
    1. Cut and folds in the hat.
    2. Hair
    3. Mouths open in the same shape
    4. Angle of the tied kerchief
    4. Cut of jacket
    5. 3 button shirt
    6. Folds and height of the shocks
    7. Boots/shoes

--- Susan

Boy-combo.jpg

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm with msgood2shoe, the one in your photo is a knockoff/fake.
    sounds like fun:) Any other items they will be asking questions about?

judy likes this.
  18. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

If though your image is black and white pretty much it looks too shiny to be a true Hummel. The bottom will be the number one way to tell. The logo will tell us the TM number, which will give us an idea on age.

19. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

Here is the logo of a TM5 Hummel I picked up today.

Attached Files:

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I belong to an email discussion list where somebody asks about a bunch of photos every year, on behalf of a team... it is some kind of contest. I assume you are in the same contest. They are a wide variety of photos and images of all types. They included this photo in their query earlier in January.

Since this forum is searchable in Google, etc., some of your competitors may see these replies. Next time you might try posting in the General Discussion forum on this site. The bots don't go there.

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted