Help ID'ing cut glass bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Oct 10, 2017.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

I've done my best trying to ID these bowls by the pattern which is "Laurel"-esque in one portion but I haven't had any luck and figured I'd reach out to the experts. I've tried searching by pattern and dimensions and have struck out. These don't have a maker's mark on them but they seem to be very good quality. If not antique, I'm at least hoping they are from a high end manufacturer. The details: the bowls measure 8 5/8" across and are 1.5" tall. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

20171010_151017_red.jpg 20171010_151454_red.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it a low soup bowl?
    Is the rim on the bottom polished. Is it possible to take a picture and post it?

Although these are wheel engraved, they are not really called cut glass.
    Very pretty plates/bowls.

I suspect from one of the better glass companies of the 1930s-50s.

3. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

"Low soup" sounds about right. Still struggling with nomenclature... cut, etched, engraved... they still seem the same to me so thanks for that clarification. :) I'm attaching a picture of the bottom... based on my limited experience it appears to be polished. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much this will show you. Taking photos of clear stuff is tricky! Thanks for your reply clutterecloset 20171010_231614_red.jpg

4. clutteredcloset49

Is this the bottom rim? If so, then the bottom rim is polished.

upload_2017-10-10_20-50-31.png

@Cherryhill
    Is this a Heisey pattern?

justjeff likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

So am I and I've been doing this since 1978;):)

justjeff and komokwa like this.
  6. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

That is indeed the bottom rim. So would you expect to see surface imperfections if it weren't polished and that's generally indicative of lower quality glass?

7. clutteredcloset49

I would expect to see more of a molded bottom. That does not necessarily mean from a lower quality glass company.

Imperial, Fostoria, Heisey, just to name a few did better quality glass as well as more economical glass. The ground bottom just means it came from a glass house that was also know for doing high quality class.

I was really hoping @Cherryhill would weigh in as to whether or not it could be Heisey.

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its not a recognized Heisey Cutting. It is quality, though.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted