Help in signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by TT Antique, Feb 26, 2024.

1. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Dear All,

I bought this woodcut print today from a second hand shop. I could see the name of the original artist on the left (G.Igler , I think Gustav Igler). But I could not figure out the signature of the printer on the right. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

TTA

Image1.jpg

Aquitaine and Roaring20s like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I haven't been able to find it online, except for a much later reproduction that said the original was 1886. I think we'll need a close up of that corner of the print to stand a chance. Being a wood engraving, it's probably from a magazine and has printing on the reverse. If so, there may be info there to narrow the search, like the name and date of the publication.

The signature on the right is most likely the engraver, not the printer.

TT Antique likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Some wood engravings of Igler subjects were published in a German magazine called "Die Gartenlaube – Illustriertes Familienblatt".

It's possible this engraving was done for that magazine and afterwards, the plate got around. I've found several other Igler wood engravings that were published there, but each seems to be done by a different engraver and no two match.

TT Antique likes this.
  4. TT Antique

Thanks moreotherstuff. Intending to avoid a misuse of a word by not using the word "engraver" ( thinking the work is a woodcut and not an engraving...), I created another confusion by the word "printer"... I meant the person who did the woodcut a.k.a "engraver", but "printer" is not the right word, you are right.

In any case here is the back page of the print. It could be from a publication of some sort as you suggested .I also could not find it on the net.

P.s. a bit of the edge of the paper was torn as we removed it from the frame, but it was way outside the image area thankfully.

Thanks again.
    TTA

20240226_221258.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  5. TT Antique

Thanks again. Yes I saw several wood engravings as well. But this one seems to be elusive.

TTA

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@TT Antique, Not sure how much this will help....not a lot to be able to do with RIGHT side....Just on this top image- RIGHT SIDE, I tried taking the slant off the signature a bit; Again on the RIGHT side-MIDDLE image... I enlarged it a bit; and lastly, the left sided signature was pretty clear, I think.....TO ME.....it looks like 'G Igler, not sure if next word might be a place, but after it clearly says '86'.....hope someone can make more sense of it!!! Now am off to LA-LA Land!!!:happy::happy:
    BTW, that's an ADORABLE SCENE!!!!!

BRWN RIGHT SIDE SIG.jpg

PURPLE SIGNAT-RIGHT SIDE.jpg

SIGNAT-LEFT SIDE SIG.jpg

Potteryplease and TT Antique like this.
  7. TT Antique

Thanks Aquitaine. I already figured the G.Igler. It stands for Gustav Igler and we found some wood engravings based on his works. The second word could be Munchen for Munic...But the issue was on the signature of the engraver on the right side. You certainly magnified it a bit..I will try to make a guess though it won't be easy. Thanks a lot.

TTA

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think that's München 86.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like a book plate. His works were also published in illustrated magazines. Is Les petits Architects printed directly on the back? What is the size of the piece? Paper weight?

Debora

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  10. TT Antique

Thanks Debora. Yes I posted the image that is directly on the back. The size is a little more than a postcard.

TTA

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. TT Antique

Thanks Debora! That certainly seems to be him.You finally nailed the elusive engraver. Why my piece doesn't show online is a mystery. Thanks a lot!

TTA

14. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Sorry to say,but I think that your elusive engraver is not Brendamour as Debora suggested but actually another German engraver Richard Jericke.

TT Antique likes this.
  15. TT Antique

Thanks Antiquefab. I will also check your suggestion.

TTA

Draft saved Draft deleted